TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Local Short Run: Up & Down Stonehill, Up & Down Selva

Low on time, I elected local roads, hilly roads for my short run today.  After throwing on my Disney half marathon race shirt (my first big race) I ran one five mile loop utilizing two of the biggest hills in this resort Photo168town – Stonehill and Selva.  Every time I faced the ocean, the wind blew strong against me.  One of those times was running up Stonehill – that added some resistance for a good workout.

Then, because I wanted to run against traffic, I ran the side of PCH without a sidewalk – in the midst of rush hour.  Just a bit nerve wracking, I kept a close eye on those cars racing by, ready to dive into the bushes if one made even the slightest swerve. 

Road Running!  It’s not so much for me any more.  Hardly anyone ever smiles.  I came across 3 or 4 runners (on the flat parts), all of them wearing frowns, or at least SERIOUSLY thinking (let’s just say that, they were deep in thought – they weren’t unhappy, because they were running! – or maybe I’m just too silly-hearted – but anyone who knows me, knows that’s not true!)

Well, then this silly-hearted woman ran up Selva away from the ocean. At the top I turned around and snapped a photo with my phone to commemorate the day that running up Selva was no big deal.

Miles logged this evening:  5.25

Top of Selva, looking back at the Pacific

Photo169

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Good luck on your upcoming ultra!

    Thomas (www.TheTrailJogger.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't believe how much anxiety I have over this. And then I went and slammed the car door on my knee today! : ) nerves. Good luck to you too -- may you not slam the door or anything else on your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someon who has driven up and don both of those hills - all I've got to say is WOW! Outstanding workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Glenn. That really is a good workout for me. There was a time that I didn't even dare WALK those inclines. : )

    ReplyDelete