TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, August 29, 2010

No Place I’d Rather Be

I set my alarm for 6:30 and every time I hit the snooze button, my five-year-old (who had snuck into our bed) complained that I was waking him up.  After complain #3, I decided it was time to make a go at it, and so up I went and got ready for a run.  Thing is, I didn’t want to run.  Motivation, love for running is down right now.   But I forced myself this week, because I know that I’ll want to run again, and when I do, I don’t want to be out of shape.

I wasn’t sure where to run.  It would have been easier to just run out of the door and down to the marina.  But I wanted to go to Top of the World.  I didn’t want to run to the Top of the World, I just wanted to be there.  I wanted to stand up there, take it all in.  I sat on the couch for an hour before I got moving.

I still wasn’t sure how long I would run, what trails I’d take, but I knew I was going to the top.  I packed for a long run just in case and set out under lovely blue skies.  Up Cholla I ran, amazingly passing 6 cyclists (one had stopped to the rest, another was walking his bike : )  I simply stayed in the moment, placing one foot in front of the other, not a single thing on my mind. Then I ran West Ridge to Top of the World.  And I stood there and took it all in.  I felt tranquil, glad to have run to the top, even though I would have much rather slept the morning away.  Now taking in Laguna Beach and the Pacific Ocean and behind me the Santa Ana Mountains, well, there was no other place I’d rather be at that moment.

Top of the World

CIMG6665

Concentrating on getting a good picture at the top without falling backward down the slope, I forgot to smile : )

CIMG6671

Heading back, I ran West Ridge for a while.  Then I decided on a detour and ran down Rock It.  Lovely Rock It.  I came across a guy running up Rock It barefoot.  All the way down I noticed his barefoot tracks in the dirt as well as plenty of bobcat tracks. 

Bottom of Rock It, I hopped onto Coyote Run Trail and ran it Wood Canyon.  And then I ran back through Canyon Vistas park, content that I had made this morning’s run.

Entering Rock It Trail

CIMG6680

Colorful even in the heat of Summer (Rock It)

CIMG6685 

The Fun Stuff (Focus, focus . . . )

CIMG6686

Still running DOWN?? Rock It : )

CIMG6692

Some Shade on this 1.25 mile trail (still Rock It)

CIMG6693

Coyote Run Trail

CIMG6694

Miles run:  7.73

My Activities Ridge Run From Canyon Vistas 8-29-2010, Elevation - Distance

2 comments:

  1. Seriously awesome!

    Check this one out http://www.allwedoisrun.com/RED_ROCK.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stuart! Red Rock looks like a great run! Are you running it? I'm scheduled for the Saddleback Marathon in November. Don't think I could hack both : )

    ReplyDelete