TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, June 14, 2013

Test Run

I did not take a new pair of shoes out for a test run today.  Unfortunately, no.  I took my feet out for a test run today, more specifically, my right ankle.  I’m done wearing the boot.  But still, I wore one of those stretchy braces beneath my socks.  (I got it filthy with dirt.)

My ankle felt fine running the uphills and flats.  It was those downhills, especially on the way back that added a bit of pain.  My ankle may or may not have been ready for today (I’m going to be optimistic and say it was).  But dang it, I missed the trails badly.  I was actually having dreams that I could not run trails anymore, that I had to turn back on certain trails (that I’ve never seen in my waking life) because they were too hard.  Too hard!!! 

Aside from testing out the ankle, I also worked on a bit of form today as I ran the rolling ridge overlooking Laguna Beach.  One problem with my form has been that I lean my shoulders forward and look to the ground when running up hill.  This posture makes for tense sore shoulders and a reduction in speed.  During this afternoon’s run, I focused on keeping my head up, even with my hips.  And though I occasionally found myself looking down, I was convinced to keep looking forward when doing so I spotted my first rattler of the season.  She was a beauty.

Ready to run myself back into tip-top shape!

It seemed that I actually made eye contact with this rattler as I ran toward her to snap this photo.  She appeared annoyed. (On the way off this single track, I came upon two lovely young, very young ladies, making their way up.  I warned them to be aware, “I just saw a rattler.”  Upon hearing this, they both SCREAMED, and ran back down the single-track.  I felt badly for scaring them and gave the ladies a quick lesson in rattlers, ie, keep aware, give them their space, etc.  I was glad to see the two turn around and make their way back up. Smile

West Ridge:

Top of the World:

The Profile:

Running Cyn Vistas to TOW and back 6-14-2013, Elevation

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear your ankle didn't bother you on your run. Love the shot of the rattlesnake - I would have freaked out, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be freaked out about rattlesnakes Green Girl. Don't go off trail, be aware of your surroundings, give a snake his/her space, and you will be a-okay. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Snakes! Ack! You're full of super hero powers to brave snakes! Glad to read that you're on the mend. I too have that problems of leaning too far forward on the hills. I literally sing to myself 'relax, don't do it, when you want to, go do it'! So stupid but it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That song is a great Mantra Patty. Any mantra that works is not stupid. Thanks for reading.

      Delete