TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Harbor Run

I was okay with not getting my Friday hike last week, mainly because I got in a good 11 mile hike the day before. Friday (1/25) , I had a faculty meeting 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. After that I set up office at the downtown Starbucks, right up from the harbor. I accomplished much over two large coffees (with added heavy whipping cream that I brought in myself!). Later, I enjoyed a small amount of nuts, cheese, and salami for lunch (or rather breakfast, because it was my meal of the day). This was a great big Starbucks, with lots of room. I have to say that I felt quite comfortable working away at the big desks they've got set up there.  I parked myself next to an outlet so that when the batteries ran low, I was back online.

I think that I packed up at Starbucks a little after 2 p.m. Being that I was already dressed for a hike (because I originally thought that I might do that, but decided that I had just too much to do), I decided to go for a short run (umm . . . TROT) down at the harbor. It really was a perfect day for it -- mild weather, cold but not cold enough to require extra clothing more than a thin long sleeve. So, I strapped on my Amazfit watch and hand held my phone for 4 miles, mostly along the marina, and then out to the beach past The Marine Institute. There were plenty of people mingling about, but nothing like tourist season. And there were lots of birds. Wildlife on the seaside on this particular Friday was mainly birds (but lots of squirrels too). Pelicans hung out at the wharf, seagulls swooped low to the water, and ducks dilly-dallied around the marina waters. Talk about pleasant.





To think that I have driven thirty, sixty, ninety minutes to hike or run elsewhere, when I have this a half mile from my home!

I can't get a very good account on my speed because of the little stops I make along the way to snap the photos that I just cannot resist taking. I can't imagine that it added up to more than ten minutes though. Nonetheless, here are some of my Amazefit Stats (as they do differ from my Strava stats, and that still annoys me):

Miles: 4.00
Total Time: 59:44
Calories (allegedy!): 301
Avg heart (bpm): 165 (doubting the accuracy here, seems high for an average)

Who knows when I'll get out there again. Happy for any opportunity. It makes life so much more bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment