TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Well Worth Trouble

I honestly thought that I had probably never mentioned fasting in this blog before. But I did a quick search just to make sure, and lo and behold, I’ve mentioned fasting about a half dozen times before. (That’s me, not paying attention again!)

So, a reader of this blog may know that I fast. The history in a nutshell: I’ve been fasting regularly since 2018. I fasted in my youth (as a teenager, 1980s) as a religious sacrifice, though I knew little of what that meant. Then on February 14, 2018, after some study on autophagy and ketosis, I ventured onto a haphazard journey that quickly lead to regular 24 hour fasts and intermittent fasting as a normal way of life. I recall the date exactly because that was the date of the Parkland high school shooting massacre. I recall much about that day. I recall much about that week even leading up to that day that I’d like to forget. But those were the steps that got me here, and so for that they are good!

Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels

pexels-suzy-hazelwood-2523659Initially, I reached out to fasting because I wanted to feel better, have more energy, and rid myself of the sugar cycle (addiction!). I also wanted to run again. And I wanted to feel strong again. And I wanted to change my mood. I had no idea this autophagy venture was going to keep opening doors until the obvious happened; I combined my prayer life with my fasting life. I mean duh. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I have read and studied fasting science, rituals and techniques for several years now. I knew darn well that Jesus fasted, as did his disciples. Plato, Socrates, Aristotle fasted. Ghandi fasted. But it wasn’t until my mother texted my sister and I back in early November of last year that it dawned on me to use fasting as a specific prayer tool. It was her idea. As soon as I read the text, I was in, and so was my sister.

IMG_5284So, fasting has gained more significance in my life since I began the journey back on Valentine’s Day 2018. Fasting is now combined effort – a new and improved fasting.  I fast to humble myself. I fast to focus and seek the face of God you might say. This combined effort has made all the difference in the world to me. It’s not so much about the health anymore either. I admit that the added health benefits aren’t so bad. I came out of the pandemic feasting holidays a few pounds lighter. Imagine that (all while enjoying the holiday dinners and desserts!)

One might wonder how fasting interferes with my trail days. Surprisingly, I feel no adverse affects hiking after 1 or even 2 days of fasting. Hiking on a 3rd day fast on the other hand is quite another story. I feel weaker and hills are difficult to take on these extended fasts. Usually, I purposely refrain from major activity on the 3rd day. But this past Wednesday (1/27), I decided to hike on my 3rd day of fasting, on purpose. Challenge.

I chose a quick short lollipop loop in the coastal hills during the late afternoon and boy did I luck out. Pretty quickly in I came upon this lovely bobcat below in Aliso Canon. She was so interested in a rodent hole that she didn’t even notice the hikers behind her. And just to her left there’s about 9 deer in the field! 

IMG_5285

IMG_5288

IMG_5291

I felt fine during my hike on flat trail and even on gradual inclines. But boy oh boy, those few short hills that I chose gave me some trouble. But it was well worth trouble – a lovely struggle actually. I hiked to one of my special places overlooking a canyon to take in the sunset. And then, I raced against the final remnants of the sun hoping to make it out of the park before dark. Dusk went quicker then I planned, so I found myself leaving the trails after the sun was long gone. I almost forgot to look behind me on the way out, which means that I nearly missed the very last scene (pictured below!).

I surely plan to do this again.

IMG_5299

IMG_5329

IMG_5333

IMG_5379

IMG_5384

IMG_5392

Approx. 6.5 miles w/ 630’ of elevation gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment