TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Starting at the Top

Generally, I prefer trail routes that get the uphill over with toward the beginning of the run. I despise having to climb out to get home. But I also hate making the same old drive over and over again. I think I hate that more than climbing out at the end. So, this past Saturday, I decided to drive along the coast and drive to Alta Laguna Park, which is near the Top of the World neighborhood in Laguna Beach. Most often I begin my coastal hill running in the Canyons, Wood or Aliso Canyon, so it’s down hill back to the truck.

Starting off with 180 degree ocean views, Saturday I began my run on a down hill – a quick down hill, totaling just around two miles (down West Ridge and then down Mathis into Wood Canyon). From then on, it was uphill, a gradual uphill, which is why I chose this route. I thought that climbing out wouldn’t be so bad if the climb was gradual. And, so for the next FIVE miles I ran uphill, on an unusually warm weekend in February. It was tough. But, I hear that I am tough, so I guess it was okay.

Winking smile

2 13 16SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

2 13 16a

Route: Top of the World, West Ridge, Mathis Trail, Wood Canyon, Cholla Trail, West Ridge to Top of the World

No comments:

Post a Comment