TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sunday Afternoon Trail Run

Sunday’s Route: Wood Canyon, Meadows Trail, Top of the World, West Ridge, Cholla Trail, Wood Canyon. 9.78 miles (15.74 km) , 1,163’ (354.48 m) elevation gained.

2 17 16a2 7 16

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESDespite my wacky schedule, I was able to end the week with a long(ish) Sunday run in Aliso/Wood Wilderness Park.  My feet didn’t hit dirt until about 2PM. And that was okay. I took the canyon trail first, full of shade, so I wasn’t bothered by the heat. I did run up on one rattlesnake though. But I was too slow with the camera to catch a picture before he slithered off into the brush.

Though it was warm (we’ve seen temperatures in the 80’s lately!), I did get some nice cool breezes. And even with the heat, it’ still not the same as the summer heat. Somehow, it felt like winter heat, and that was soothing and wonderful.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

By the time I reached Meadows Trail, which is pretty much up, up, up (switchback thankfully), the temperature had cooled tremendously. I was able to march up that incline considerably faster than usual of late, as there were some hikers I wanted to pass. And I did. Smile 

Reaching the top of Meadows was a great relief, as aside from the minor uphills along the way, it’s pretty much down hill from there. By the time I made it to Alta Laguna Park to re-enter the wilderness park, the temperature was ideal – coolish-warm, which is more on the cool side, but warm enough to not need a jacket.  I packed lightly for this run, but didn’t even need all the water that I did carry along. I so love packing lightly on the fluids. One of the wonderful things about running in the winter!

Anyway, I finished off not terribly strong, but not terribly beaten either. Made it home before dark. I was delighted, so much so, to not experience any plantar fasciitis pain.

Meadows Trail:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESLooking back while climbing Meadows Trail:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESTop of Meadows Trail, facing Saddleback Mountains:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Top of the World:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESWest Ridge:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

2 comments:

  1. Always a pretty view. Love those hills. But I can skip the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics--I miss those trails!

    ReplyDelete