TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Bright-eyed and Bushy-Tailed

Saturday morning I woke up fresh and headed out for Santiago Truck Trail around 8 am. I recently began ketogenic eating, which has given me a good deal more energy. I have lost very little weight (granted today, I am only on day 7, and Saturday it was a mere day 4). The increased energy though, was something I noticed almost immediately. Never, and I mean never (in the past several years), do I wake up refreshed and not tired. Saturday, I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

I parked in Modjeska canyon because no parking exists at the trailhead. The walk is about a quarter mile to the trailhead. The weather was warm, the skies were clear, and the trails were crowded with cyclists. I didn’t mind the company, and although I wrote “crowded”, I mean that relatively. I could go as much as 30 minutes without seeing a soul. But occasionally, a single rider, a couple or a group of several (5 or 6) riders would come by.

I took the first single trail detour near the trailhead so that I could be completely alone, and also so that I could pass the little man-made monument hidden in the brush. Immediately, I noticed a great deal of strength in my stride as I made my way up that steep incline. It was as if my feet were more solid than ever on the ground.

Single track leading to the “monument”:IMG_0818IMG_0823

After the single track, I remained on the main road, destination: the flags across from the vulture crags. This was the day (day four of Keto) that my mental focus clicked in. I felt so strong and mentally crisp, that I just couldn’t hold back my energy and decided to run, just to see if I felt better about running.

Gosh, did I ever feel better about it. I ran a great deal without fatigue, and laughed out loud as I ran over rocks without even a stumble. My mental clarity was so improved that I was able to use it to my advantage and achieve a smooth feet-eye coordination. Really, I was amazed.

IMG_0831IMG_0837IMG_0832

It seemed in no time I was at the vulture crags. Still feeling good and strong, I hung out at the flags for a bit shooting photos, the same photos that I have shot hundreds of times. Why? Gosh, I guess it’s an uncontrollable habit now. Just me reaching to bring some of that beauty home with me.

The Crags:IMG_0838IMG_0839IMG_0842IMG_0848

In all, I ran-hiked 7.29 miles with 1,328 feet of elevation gain. Afterward, I felt un-hungry and refreshed, not to mention focused. Jazzed about these side-effects of ketogenic eating, I was hopeful, yet hesitant to expect that they stay with me. When I returned home, get this, I didn’t even nap. For ages now, I have been napping, especially after runs or big hikes. On Saturday, I returned home and cleaned the whole house. It was weird.

IMG_08552 17 18 a2 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment