TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, November 18, 2021

Nothing Ever Stays The Same

257489015_2073015999527431_9036533376952583305_nWe had a little heat wave last weekend, in the middle of fall. That isn’t too unusual for California. We can have a heat wave in January. I just wasn’t mentally prepared. (And if given the choice, I skip the hot days!)

Friday, November 12, I set out for a secret place off the beaten path in Aliso/Wood Wilderness. It had been a while and I had a longing for this certain spot. Fortunately, it’s pretty close to the trailhead and I need that being that I am still not in great shape. The hike down Wood Canyon was lovely and shady, quite comfortable. I wore my hiking boots for some reason (even though I didn’t need them) but that made this hike even easier. Wearing hiking boots is like four-wheel drive compared to two-wheel drive trail shoes.

IMG_9136IMG_9139

It’s been a while since I’ve noticed any abrupt changes in Wood Canyon. But things always change. It’s only a matter of time. That’s our Earth – from day to day, it’s different. The creek re-routes, huge trees come down, cliffs erode. You name it. Last Friday, I came up the remains of an enormous, lovely old tree that used to provide much shade for Coyote Run Trail. I’ve sat  beneath it countless times. I have even climbed it. But this wonderful tree is no more, having finally been cut down. It was sad to see it go; I felt super fortunate for knowing this tree. (Here’s a pic. of the tree in it’s splendor in 2011 and another from 2018)

IMG_9141

The second change on this hike is that the rangers have finally pinpointed and marked the unmarked trail to this secret spot, making it officially out of bounds. There’s a sign now that says I can’t pass. I took it anyway, one last time. All the debris had been cleared from the trail. The secret spot (which wasn’t mine only – there was evidence of others knowing this wonderful spot) was as well cleared out. The shade tunnel formed from branches that I used to walk through was gone and all the undergrowth was cleared out.  So, this was my last visit. And a lovely visit it was. I felt fortunate for having known this spot just as I felt fortunate for having known that tree.

IMG_9153IMG_9154IMG_9157

Approximately 5.5 miles total. I still haven’t uploaded my watch which is sitting in my truck nearly a week later.

No comments:

Post a Comment