TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, January 21, 2013

The Dark Side of a Runner. Part 1: The Back Seat

I admire so many runners.  Yet, I find it ridiculous when family or friends admire me for my running.  It’s like I want to correct them, push myself off the pedestal.  I want to shout out:  I’m a slob; I get depressed and cry when I don’t run; I prefer a blank mind; I rarely dust; I have stacks of stuff in every room.  I should spend more time with my family.  I disappoint them when I run, because I’m not there.  I disappointment them when I don’t run, because I’m not doing what helps me, what lifts me up, what defines me. 

Today I was so annoyed by the way running has defined me, I told my husband and my son I wasn’t going to run anymore.  They roared with laughter at my proclamation.  All the while, I got my running stuff together on the sly, and hid it among the stacks of folded clean clothes for tomorrow’s run. 

Yes, I say childish things like, “I’m not running anymore.”  I have an entire drawer in the kitchen dedicated to electrolytes and mountain bike reflectors that I find on the trail.  I constantly trip over the stack of running shoes next to my bed. I wash my hair based on my running schedule.  And the back seat of my truck is so messy, that before I take the boys to school, I rush out to the driveway to shove everything aside so that I can fit them and their stuff.

Today I started taking care of the back seat.  I didn’t finish the job.  But I got a good start.  This is what I saw when I opened the car door:

This is among what I found (and none of it was a surprise):  a portable hard drive, my Disneyland jacket, a running rain jacket, my old skiing coat, 1 fleece long sleeved shirt, a thick, heavy black fleece hat (that I bought when I could buy anything I wanted and was in my Russian history stage, back when running didn’t define me, but Russian history did), 2 running caps, cheap black gloves, several empty water bottles, 2 empty diet cokes, 1 unopened diet coke, at least 5 cd’s in their cases, a cd holder with around 25 cd’s in sleeves,  2 containers of sunscreen (spray on and lotion), Glide, a box with my student cards, packing tape, 2 trash bags, 2 grocery store bags, a roll of athletic tape, 2 pads of paper, a pen, and more!  And that was just the back seat! Girl

10 comments:

  1. Haaaaa. I mean. You never know when you'll need a diet coke and packing tape. Always be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the diet coke! :) I have rolls of athletic tape ALL over the place. I find them in my purse, in my couch, etc., etc. LOL

      Delete
  2. LooooooL. Show us also a picture of the drawer in the kitchen dedicated to electrolytes and mountain bike reflectors please :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my backseat clooks like that sometimes on Monday mornings. All there for a very good reason. I'd also love to see the drawer with electrolytes and reflectors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your floors are clean. Mine looks like crap all over. I just dont care about how clean my car is as much as I do my house.. though they say its a reflection of what you house looks like I disagree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason my house isn't messier is because it's a tad bigger than my car.

      Delete
  5. I too am guilty of slobbing it up lately. There's always time for cleanup later.:) You're a great wife and mom and you will NEVER give up your passion of running no matter how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hank. You are so nice to write that. :)

      Delete