TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, October 19, 2018

Santiago Truck Trail

While packing for last Friday’s hike (10/12), I noticed a leak in my pack’s bladder. It was hard NOT to notice; the outpour, though small and thin, was forceful. My cat did it. My husband had warned me that he had seen him swatting at my pack here and again. So, there I was, my day off Friday, ready for a hike with a leaky bladder. Fortunately, I had planned a relatively short hike, and could spare going off to the store for a new bladder. I was calm and I was collected because I almost always plan my trail adventures days in advance and knew I had time to spare. Note: calm and collected I am not always, which is why I try and plan things out in advance. (Planning is one of the best remedies for anxiety).

As it turned out, I arrived about twenty minutes before the running store opened. I needed a way to waste time -- because I couldn’t just sit in my truck for 20 minutes (though I should because it really needs cleaning and organizing – really! It is a complete mess) Anyway, I stopped in at Trader Joes, which is in the same parking lot, for some groceries. They were sold out of the items first on my list, so with slightly growing frustration I purchased some nuts (we are a huge nut lover family) and dried salami. Finally, I was back at the running store, purchased myself a new Ultimate Direction bladder ($32) and headed off to the mountains. Santiago Truck Trail that is.
IMG_4432Mid October is the start of autumn in Southern California. We still have warm days, but it’s definitely cooling down. And the mornings, they are sometimes cold. Autumn is the best time to hit Santiago Truck Trail again. There’s hardly any shade, but that’s okay now, it’s all okay now. SmileAutumn is here. And then after that we have winter, and then spring . . . summer is far, far away.

IMG_44931I hiked an out-and-back (with a bit of running) out to the flags across from the vulture crags. On the way, I took two detours – 1) up to a strange cross-like monument, and 2) to a second set of flags, The US flag and the California flag. The trip totaled 7.23 miles with 1,363’ feet of gain. As my hike progressed, enormous white clouds began to appear and the breeze blew cooler It was wonderful. Simply wonderful.

It did not occur to me then that the giant clouds were a hint of something good to come. That night back at home, rain began to fall. And it continued to fall for most of Saturday. And all the plants rejoiced! (As did I).

IMG_4531IMG_4538IMG_4552

And because this was a Friday hike, the video clips put to music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment