TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Bedford to Bald Peak

February 16, I completed my 55th revolution around the sun. To commemorate the completion of that revolution, I decided to drive out to Corona for a hike up Bedford Road to the Main Divide. I have passed Bedford Road on many occasions while on The Main Divide, but I have never traveled any of it. This is what I can tell you about Bedford Road: It's an exposed climb with faraway views of Riverside County, Lake Matthews and the San Gabriel, San Bernadino and San Jacinto snow-capped mountains. It's also a lonely road with no other hikers or runners (at least on this day), but with plenty of motorcyclists. (I see more motorcyclists on Maple Springs Rd than Bedford however.)

I hung a left at The Main Divide and hiked on over to Bald Peak, a little-known peak in the Santa Ana Mountains. My intent was to measure the route all the way up to the peak. If that had not been my intent, I would have turned around at the base being that I wasn't really up for the scramble to the top. It is quite steep with lots of loose rocks. But I did it anyway, one step in front of the other, sliding back here and there. It was quite a struggle -- but a worthwhile struggle. 

I remained at Bald Peak for quite some time before heading down that treacherous slope back to The Main Divide. The views, the sounds of silence and peace and solitude were spectacular and a great birthday gift to myself. Of course, I was late heading back (which is always the case) and ended up running all of the 6.5 mile return trip back into Bedford Canyon. 

13.13 miles, 3,583' of elevation gain (my glutes felt that!)
Lake Matthews in the distance

Top of Bedford Road @ The Main Divide

Bald Peak




Heading Back



No comments:

Post a Comment