TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, March 9, 2020

My New Hydration Pack: Nathan TrailMix


I am kind of a baby when it comes to replacing my hydration pack. I have been very happy with my Ultimate Direction Wink (except for its bladder) and have purchased it more than once, perhaps 3 times (not sure). So, when I went to order another Wink, I was dismayed to learn that the company had discontinued the model. No problem, I thought . . . I'll just purchase another Ultimate Direction, just a different model. Turned out, I do not like the new Ultimate Direction designs, and they are over-priced to boot. I am not going to pay $165 for a vest I don't really like (especially since I am poor). And so, for months, I stopped in at every running and sporting goods store I could find. I searched the web and clicked on every single hydration pack that Amazon has to offer. I still had hopes that I was going to stumble upon an Ultimate Direction Wink -- maybe, just maybe, there's a store out there that still had one in storage. No such luck. That meant one thing: It's time to move on.

I finally decided on a hydration pack (for my birthday): Nathan TrailMix. And on this past Friday (March 6), I took it out for a test "run" (but mainly hike) on The Big Loop @ Aliso/Woods (12 miles). I won't bore you with the route (since I have written about this loop again and again, too many times!). I'll just cut to the chase and give you the review of my new vest.

Let me begin with, I did have kind of a lousy attitude because I really don't like change, especially when I was very satisfied with my Wink. My attitude is changing however. I'm 55 years old now. I'm a grown up now, and I can handle change.

I'll start with the pros of the Nathan Trail Mix:
  1. The bladder is superb! Fits very nicely in the pack, seals and opens easily.
  2. The bladder holds 2 liters -- yay!
  3. I have front pocket storage. (Extremely important, and this is difficult to find).
  4. The material has a slight stretch to it.
  5. It is comfortable (aside from the front strap and how high it rides, see below)
  6. I have room to store other things in the back.
  7. The stitching is pretty and I like the color.
  8. It does not bounce.
  9. The price is reasonable (I paid $99 on Amazon).
The cons:
  1. I should not have purchased the large size; I have much more strapping than I need.
  2. The front pockets are too deep and I cannot close them (no zipper, etc.).
  3. The front straps run directly across the boobs (with my Wink, I only attached the bottom strap, which ran beneath the boobs). I find this slightly uncomfortable and I don't like the way it looks.
  4. I must attach both front straps of the Nathan when I run, otherwise the pack slips off my shoulders (I don't need to attach both when just hiking).
  5. It rides way too high!
  6. It does not have as many pockets and compartments as my Wink (& and I really like compartments in my vests!)
  7. It says "Nathan" across the back in big letters (I do not want to advertise for the company. I think it's rude to plaster the name of your product in such big letters -- so that annoys me, just a tad, but not enough not to wear the pack, especially a good pack like this).
Overall, this pack gets a thumbs up. I am happy that I purchased the Nathan TrailMix. I believe I will get used to some of the cons. I also plan on purchasing a bigger pack with more storage later when I have money (hopefully, I won't have to wait until my 56th birthday). 😂

On another note -- spring is in the air. It's beautiful out there, and I plan to hit the trails as much as I can manage over the next couple of months. I so am grateful to have this new pack!

Prickly Pears are getting ready to burst into blooms

On Cholla Trail in Wood Canyon wearing the Nathan TrailMix

Lupin is blooming (@ Top of the World, Laguna Beach)

Snakey!

Meadows Trail in all its glory!

Cute little yellow birdie

The video review:

No comments:

Post a Comment