TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, May 4, 2015

Big Plans

Got three runs in this week.  Monday, I had big plans.  I always have big plans.  But my big plans got shortened (surprise, surprise!), this time by chores – making breakfast, lunches, grocery shopping, laundry, etc., etc.  While I had hoped for at least fifteen miles, I got in a good 10 miles along Arroyo Trabuco Trail – a nice long, out-and-back.  I was sluggish, and felt very weak during most of it.  And what began with a slight sore throat, ended up with with an even more sore throat, plus a dash of watery eyes, a cough and congestion.  Woe is me.  Winking smile  Still, the scenery was beautiful.  It always is. 

Arroyo Trabuco Trail, out-and-back, 10.01 miles (16.11 km)SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

My cold worsened over the next few days.  With work, catching pollywogs with my youngest son, and everything else continuing on, I had little rest.  I yearned though to get out there – with so little time on my feet, I am really struggling to keep any fitness at all. 

Friday, I hit the trails in Wood Canyon regardless of the runny nose and sneezing.  I figured I’d run through the canyon and see how I felt.  If I felt crappy, I’d turn around for a 6 mile total out-and-back.  Turns out, I felt pretty good at the end of the canyon.  So, I turned into Aliso Canyon and headed on up Meadows Trail.  Big mistake (well, actually it wasn’t that bad, because I lived and all).  The view of Saddleback Mountains was extraordinary though, so I thought for the moment, that it was all worthwhile.  (Still, I had about 6 miles today in big heat!)

Looking at the Saddleback Mountains from the top of Meadows Trail:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESI ran with little enthusiasm toward Alta Laguna Park, which is the entrance back into Aliso/Wilderness.  The heat was relentless, as it seemed to yank the energy right from my body.  At the park, I drenched my face and hair with cool water from the park bathroom’s sink.  Then, with little shade during those last three miles, I needed to stop and stoop down beneath shrubs to cool down.  10.48 miles run (10.94 km), 1,225’ gained. 

Sitting in what little shade I could muster:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Waiting for me outside my truck:  Winking smileSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Saturday, I taught a class that ran from 9:00 AM until 3:30 PM.  Home at after 4 PM, I was in no shape for a running.  I went straight to the couch and slept.  Sunday, still a bit under the weather, I slept in.  After two cups of coffee, some breakfast, and cough and cold medicine, I was ready for a small jaunt along the trails.  About 2PM, I headed back out to Aliso/Wood Canyons for an out-and-back into Wood Canyon, up Cholla Trail, and West Ridge to Top of the World.  I felt much better and strong on this run.  Hallelujah!  6.8 miles (10.94 km),  with a 961’ gain.

Running West Ridge on the back portion of this out-and-back:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

I ran 27.29 miles (43.92 km) this week, all of those on trails.  I’m glad for that.  And I won’t cry over the fact that I did not realize my plans.  I have another set of big plans for next week.  Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment