TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Perfect Loop

I’ve been working many hours lately, and runs are stacking up without posts. Yikes. If I don’t write up my runs, they crowd my head. This is not good.  I get this overloaded feeling, like my mind is getting too full. (Reminiscent of David Bowie’s words: “My brain hurt like a warehouse, it had no room to spare,” Winking smile).

In an attempt to lighten the load in my mind a bit, today’s entry goes back to Saturday, February 27 when I ran a perfect loop in Aliso/Wood Canyons. I call it perfect, not because I ran it perfectly, but because the topography of the route was perfect. It began on a slight down hill through Wood Canyon that lasted about three miles. The major climbing of the run came about a third of the way in. So, I had time to warm up some, and I didn’t have to climb back out at the end. Instead, the last three miles of the run entailed mainly rolling down hills along West Ridge where I spotted the gorgeous rattle snake pictured below. I had to sprint up to her to catch a series of pictures before she slithered off into the brush. After West Ridge, I ran a final descent down Cholla Trail which was sporadically lined with bright yellow prickly pear blooms. Spring is definitely in the air. The weather was on the warm side, but with a cool breeze, the skies were blue. Definitely a perfect loop.

The gate into Wood Canyon:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESView of Saddleback Mountain from Meadows Trail:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESLooking back while climbing Meadows Trail:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESOn West Ridge:SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

2 27 16

9.85 miles (16k) , 1,236’ (377 m) of elevation gained.

Route: Wood Canyon, Meadows Trail, Top of the World, West Ridge, Cholla Trail, Wood Canyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment