TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, March 22, 2018

Five Weeks on a Ketogenic Diet

I changed my way of eating five weeks ago, and I have dropped 15 pounds. So much more important than those 15 pounds are some other wonderful side effects I have experienced since changing my way of eating.

Before the diet change, I was dragging, most often tired, and napped every chance I got. I found it difficult to focus, and would frequently forget things (felt like a “brain fog”). Before changing my diet, I struggled to wake in the morning, and I was always hungry. Now, I have energy. I am focused. I get things done. And I am rarely tired (except when I’m supposed to be, like after a long day), which means I never nap. Amazingly, I wake in the morning refreshed, with no groggy time. And I am absolutely never hungry. I am calmer. I am more accepting. I have more patience.

All this from changing my diet? Yes indeed. This is 100% true, and it took me way too long to realize that such a change could impact my life so drastically. Who would have thought? Not me.

So, what is my new way of eating? It is called a ketogenic diet, which is a very low carb diet with adequate protein and high fat. I know to some this may sound absurd, but my calorie intake is basically: 5% carbs, 20% protein, and 75% fat. In a nutshell, I stay at or under 20 grams of carbs a day. If you are a label reader, you’ll know that 20 grams of carbs adds up very quickly. A piece of whole wheat bread for example could be 17 carbs, an apple, I believe is around 10. Good thing I have never been a big fruit eater. I should add that restricting my carbs doesn’t matter one bit to me right now because I am never, and I stress “never” hungry.

IMG_1171With all that said, I got out for another trail run/hike before the rains came down. The day was Tuesday, and my legs were still sore from Sunday’s adventure. It was a tough loop in Aliso/Woods Canyons -- up Mathis Trail, down Meadows. Fortunately, I recovered very quickly after a long difficult trek up Mathis. Recovery time has decreased a great deal as well since beginning a ketogenic diet. I am finally really enjoying the trails once again (hallelujah!). Looking forward to getting back out there after the rain dry up.

Miles: 9.37, Elevation gain: 1,181.

Feeling optimistic. And so are the plants in Southern California. Look at all the green popping through:

View from Aliso Cyn Trail:IMG_1173

Climbing Mathis Trail:

IMG_1189IMG_1196

View from Mathis Trail into Wood Canyon:IMG_1197Approaching Meadows Trail:IMG_1212Top of Meadows Trail:IMG_1213IMG_12153 20 18a3 20 18

No comments:

Post a Comment