TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Sugarloaf Peak 3/24/18

Sunday, I took an amazing hike out to Sugarloaf Peak in the Cleveland National Forest. The weather was perfectly cold.  The trails were perfectly tranquil. And the entire route was single track – my favorite of course.

IMG_1222I took San Juan Trail to Old San Juan Trail where moss crept along the ground, up the rocks and tree trunks. After about 3 miles I arrived to Sugarleaf Peak where I bushwhacked to the base. Then I climbed the rocks to the top. Slightly shivering I put on my beanie for protection against the cold wind and  stayed for a good long while. It was like visiting with an old friend (one with blue eyes like the skies.) I could see for miles and miles, and watched the dozens of cyclists who came up on Cocktail Rock below. I don’t think that they could see me, but I could see them.

I took San Juan Trail (as opposed to Old San Juan Trail) for a longer route back. It was a magical trip. 9.43 miles. 1,573’ elevation gain:

IMG_1231IMG_1232IMG_1234IMG_1235IMG_1238IMG_1242IMG_1246IMG_1251IMG_1252

3 24 18a3 24 18

No comments:

Post a Comment