TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Robber’s Cave (and also the Ketogenic Diet)

IMG_1718I am just about caught up with my recent trail blogs, this being the final outstanding one. Though it is late, I am sleepless at the moment. I am sitting in a hotel room right now after spending the day with my oldest son in Ventura County. He plays violin in a university symphony which had its spring concert tonight. It was a lovely concert, and an even better dinner with my son at The Outback Steakhouse. As I sit here pondering what to write about my last trail adventure, I’m not really sure where to start because I have other things that I'd like to report.

How about first, the last trail adventure? That was this past Sunday (4/22) when I ventured out for a hike (no running) in Wood Canyon. (Read further for more on the Ketogenic diet if that is why you are here). It was evening. The temperature was mild. And at about two miles in, I ventured off of Wood Canyon Trail onto Mathis Trail so that I could catch Dripping Cave Trail.

Dripping Cave Trail, is a short trail (I’m guessing about a mile or more in length). There is some elevation gain basically all in one spot. And there’s a nice size shallow cave toward the end (or beginning depending on which way you take the trail). The cave is named “Dripping Cave” officially, but also “Robber’s Cave” due to an infamous group of thieves who took it as a hideout in the late 1800s.

Dripping Cave Trail:IMG_1732IMG_1734

Dripping Cave is a lonely trail, which makes it all the better, sometimes even eerie. It’s shady and at times exposed. It’s quiet and unassuming. Quiet frankly, it’s a lovely and tranquil place to be -- I thoroughly enjoyed this careless hike. Especially liked seeing Robber’s Cave once again. In all, I enjoyed 6.42 miles of trails with 532 feet of elevation gain.

Aside from Dripping Cave (more pictures below – please scroll down if that is why you are here!), I really wanted to report on the progress of my ketogenic diet. For those of you who haven’t heard of a ketogenic way of eating, it is basically this: a diet high in fat, extremely low in carbs with a moderate intake of protein. My calories have been distributed pretty much like this: 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, mainly because it goes completely against everything that I have been taught about nutrition. And because it goes against everything that I have learned, it was quite difficult to begin this regimen. I began this way of eating on February 14, and really want to share my experience (as briefly as possible, though I’m not sure that it will be brief since my results are so profound).

I began this way of eating because I was desperate to loose some pounds. But it ends up the unintended consequences of this diet have far outweighed any weight loss. Below are my results. Some of them are provable (measureable) others are subjective, but be assured, I feel them, subjective or not. Eating this way has made a tremendous impact on my life. It really is like a drug:

  1. I lost 26 pounds, and I don’t even care about losing weight because I feel so much better.
  2. I am absolutely never, ever hungry.
  3. I have shrunk 6 inches from my hips, 6 inches from my waist, 3 from each of my thighs and 6 inches from my bust.
  4. My focus has improved (tremendously).
  5. My insight has improved (I can read a map, typed text and my garmin without glasses which is really, really bizarre. Vision isn’t perfect by any means, but it used to be that I could not decipher words at all without my glasses. Now I can.)
  6. My fingernails are thicker.
  7. I wake in the morning refreshed.
  8. I am able to small talk with ease (where it was always a great chore for me historically).
  9. I never nap (whereas I always used to nap).
  10. I frequently go 24 hours (with ease) without eating (refer to #2 above).
  11. I have greater patience.
  12. I am calmer. (Not to say that I am calm, but way more so than ever)
  13. I no longer crave sweets or breads and can easily walk down the candy aisle without even flinching.
  14. I love things like brussel sprouts and broccoli (used to hate).
  15. Anxiety has decreased.
  16. No more lethargy.
  17. I forgive easily and don’t hold grudges.
  18. I self-reflect with ease and am more accepting of myself.
  19. I am okay with not accomplishing everything I want to accomplish in a day (before keto this was a great anguish of mine).
  20. My skin is softer and clearer.
  21. I no longer have aches and pains (there had been a couple that were worrisome).
  22. I am hopeful (or at least much more hopeful that I have been in a long time).

I realize this sounds a little crazy. Especially when I tell you what I do eat. My diet consists of:

  1. Eggs
  2. Avocados
  3. Butter
  4. Heavy Whipping Cream
  5. Sour Cream
  6. Beef, pork and chicken (sometimes fish)
  7. Bacon (I list separately from pork because I consume bacon more frequently than other forms of pork)
  8. Cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, bleu, parmesan, dubliner, etc)
  9. Broccoli
  10. Brussel sprouts
  11. Spinach
  12. Romaine, Green Leaf and Red Leaf lettuce
  13. Cabbage
  14. Cauliflower
  15. Zucchini
  16. Pistachios, almonds and cashews
  17. Coffee, tea, water (occasionally diet coke)
  18. Salt
  19. Salad dressings (Bleu cheese, Italian, Caesar or any other that I fancy)
  20. Onions (on occasion)
  21. Occasionally shrimp, crab or lobster.
  22. Occasionally turkey.

These are the things that I absolutely never consume (and at the moment have no desire for):

  1. Bread
  2. Pasta
  3. Beans
  4. Fruit or fruit juices
  5. Tortillas
  6. Chips, crackers, etc, or any other food in a box or bag.
  7. Soda (non diet)
  8. Rice
  9. Corn
  10. Potatoes
  11. Yogurt
  12. Milk
  13. Candy, pastries, cakes, ice cream etc.

Crazy? I should say!! (Watch The Magic Pill on Netflix or do more research on the internet for more information – I have only touched on the topic. The topic is tremendous for me, and some other time, I will surely say more!). For now, some more of Dripping Cave . . .  

IMG_1758IMG_1768IMG_1762IMG_1769IMG_1772

No comments:

Post a Comment