TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Trails in June

The weather is still perfect along the California Riveria and we have only a few days left in June. The skies have been blue (but sometimes gray) with a constant soft cool breeze. Yet, here I am sitting on my living room couch which is somewhat of a bummer to me. I’m constantly torn between heading outdoors and staying behind to catch up on chores and work related things. It’s this (the chores and stuff) and the fact that I just don’t have the ambition to do what it takes to actually get myself to some trails. Ugh. Go figure that I don’t have the ambition because when I finally get out there, it really helps me in so many ways. Trails lift my spirits and strengthen both my body and my spirit. Out on the trails, I stay in the present, the Now -- which is really the best place to be. Ask the devil in The Screwtape Letters who wrote his nephew the same – keep your victim out of the Present – because the Present is closest to God (or something like that – it’s been years since I’ve read the book).

Occasionally, when it’s been a while since I hit the trails, I hit the gym (1 to 2 times a week nowadays). But that really is just to keep minimally in shape. The gym doesn’t offer that mental almost euphoric presence that trails give me. This is because I don’t much stay in the present during gym workouts. I’m more of a thinker at the gym.

Ten days ago (June 16), I amazed myself (truly!) and got out on the trails on a late Sunday afternoon. I allowed myself this because of the progress I had made elsewhere on my “To Do” list. I amazed myself also by the fact that I ran the vast majority of the 12 miles along Tijeras Creek and Arroyo Trabuco Trails. Early on, I saw a deer on the trail. She hopped away then later pounced back onto the trail to cross right in front of me and race off into the hills. The weather was as usual perfect -- blue skies with white puffy clouds and of course that cool breeze. At the end I felt exhilarated, victorious. I had conquered myself by finally getting outdoors for a good long while.

Four days ago (June 22), but it seems much longer, I hit the trails again. And again, in the afternoon! Thankful for the weather that allows me to do such a thing, I got in nearly 11 miles. But the terrain was not so kind in Laguna Wilderness/Crystal Cove. It was not so kind because I had to climb out. I despise climbing out. I would much rather climb in (that is, do the heavy elevation gain at the beginning of the route). The climb out for my loop four days ago started at the surf and went for over four miles. Four. Slow. Miles. I know I just mentioned that I hate the climb out, but that hate goes hand-in-hand with loving it. And I loved it. I loved the struggle.

Who knows when I will get out again. Today would have been ideal -- perfect weather, and only one class to teach this evening at 6pm. But I had laundry to do and lesson plans to create (not to mention emails and a phone call to make).

Stats for June 16: 12.06 miles, 705’ elevation gain

Stats for June 22: 10.64 miles, 1,512’ elevation gain

Arroyo Trabuco Trail (lovely shade!):IMG_2814

Prickly Pear on Arroyo Trabuco:IMG_2827

The Pacific Ocean:IMG_2911

About a mile into the climb out:IMG_2936

No comments:

Post a Comment