TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Harbor Daze

My Friday hike wasn’t a hike, but instead a nighttime run. I’m not talking about yesterday Friday – I’m talking about last week Friday (11/30)Times have been busy, actually hectic a bit. But hectic might just be a state of mind. My hike wasn’t a hike because Friday morning I had a faculty meeting. Got out about 10:00 am, then had breakfast with my husband at a local Mexican restaurant (eggs & chorizo). That all seemed well-worth it, except for the fact that I was scheduled to teach a 6 hour Microsoft Excel class the following day. So, I really needed to get out and move my feet on Friday. But I didn’t. In fact, I did everything else instead of that. And then finally, I resolved to do a cardio workout at my gym. I even packed a gym bag (which is different than my running bag). So, even as I drove away from my home, I was planning on hitting the gym. But I didn’t hit the gym.  I hit the harbor with a quick 4.24 mile run (not hike).

IMG_2105I forgot to bring my ipod, but I still had music in my ears. On the island, there were a couple of seals barking in the harbor waters.  Waves crashed down on the jetty rocks, and though I could not see them, I could hear untold numbers of birds squawking away on the jetty rocks. There were musicians playing Christmas music over by the restaurants and the entire place was lit up in perfect glory (perfect glory because of the lights reflection on the water). It’s no wonder the Impressionists were so enthralled by light’s reflections.

IMG_2107

dana point harbor run 11 30

With my To Do snowballing, I did not get out for another run again until Pearl Harbor Day (12/7). And that barely didn’t happen. We got two days of solid rain here (Wednesday – Thursday), so I could not do the hike I had planned. All the trails in the coastal hills were closed “due to wet and muddy conditions.” And I wasn’t feeling confident enough to venture out into the mountains the very first day after a big storm. So, I spent the day doing chores, much needed chores, like grocery shopping, which had been long neglected. Also, we had plans for the evening, and time was fleeting (our middle son played in the pit crew for a high school musical and we had tickets!) It was just one of those last minute things – just trot a couple miles I told myself. With the promise that it would be quick, I made a smaller loop at the harbor. 2.25 miles in total. The reflection of light on the water was beautiful.

IMG_2124dana point harbor run 12 7

No comments:

Post a Comment