TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, January 18, 2019

One More Mental Health Hike

I am back to work after a winter break. Work that is teaching. I teach computer applications at two schools (one community college and one k-12 adult ed), and HSE Prep/high school equivalency: math, reading/writing, social sciences, and science, (at another community college). There is much preparation time involved, so I am beat. I am beat because I also want to spend time with my family, keep the house clean, read, write, run or hike, and so on, and I haven’t yet figured out how to juggle it all with teaching (though I have a very big suspicion on what it is that I need to do).

So! Back to the reason for this blog (besides supplying a way to just ramble on about wandering trails), and that is, my last trail adventure. January 11, 2019, I took in one more mental health hike (my second of two). It was a change of plans, as always, that landed me in Laguna Wilderness that morning. The trails aren’t overwhelmingly beautiful to my tastes,  in that area anyway (sorry Laguna Beach Sad smile, I still love you though, very much! ). The trails here are mostly all completely exposed. There’s no shade, no place to recover from heat, and the creeks are almost always dry (but there is always the Pacific Ocean, which makes this a perfect place any time of the year!). Fortunately though, there is no need to escape from heat right now in Southern California. Our low temperatures during the day are in the fifties (Fahrenheit). If I drive 30, 40 minutes inland however, the temps can dip ten, twenty degrees.

Back to subject:Traverse Laguna Wilderness or Crystal Cove Parks during the wintertime!  There is no lovelier time in these parks (which run along the coasts of Laguna and Newport Beaches). In the wintertime, the weather is cool enough that you don’t need shade to recover. On Friday, I switched in and out of of my long sleeves, gloves and beanie, but I was mostly slightly chilled. Most of the hike, a gray sky hovered over a steel colored ocean. It felt somewhat eerie, especially when a ray of sun beamed down through a lapse in clouds causing a streak that reached to the horizon. There was a short time there that the clouds parted and blue skies appeared. And when that happened, I could see all the green more clearly, and it appeared as we were on the brink of spring!

This was my route (10.23 mi):

1,621' elevation gained










No comments:

Post a Comment