TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Saturday, May 2, 2020

It's Been That Long

My middle son (the oldest still at home) took up running a few weeks into this shelter-in-place. He runs a couple of miles around the neighborhood and every day had been asking me if I wanted to run. I declined. So depressing. How many years have I asked my children to run with me? I have lots of hikes, but runs with my boys, not so much. Anyway, it is so difficult to run when I feel so utterly out of shape running-wise. Heck, I don't even feel confident about a hike nowadays. It's been that long!

This is not to say that I'm not tending to lots of things that need tending to (like organizing my office, books, and such, not to mention the tender loving ongoing deep cleaning of the house). Keeping myself physically fit though is something that has flown out the window during COVID19. And I'm not eating that healthy either (though I am fasting 18 hours a day, so at least that's something). I'm not saying that I'm a couch potato. I'm down on my hands and knees weeding our gardens. I've been working upper body cleaning walls, windows and floors. Overall, I'm keeping myself rather busy. But my strength sucks and I have no running stamina. So, back to my middle son, who has been bugging me for weeks to get back into it. He convinced me to do a daily plank, increasing 5 seconds each day. I'm up to 65 seconds, and though I hate this part of my new daily routine, it's not as miserable as it was on the first day (which I believe was 30 seconds and I wailed like a baby!) I can't remember the last time that I worked on my core. Oh, I have neglected so many things!

Somehow, my middle son has convinced me to get back to a little bit of running, miserable though it is right now (he just never gave up asking). I so much hate starting over. So, the miles are short, but they are nearly daily. I put it off to the very last moment of the morning before I absolutely must get to work. I always go out too fast because I just want to get it over with. A half mile later I suffer on an incline because of it, and then I go out too fast again on the next run, not even looking forward to the absolute wonderful feeling that comes with a run's completion. I know all this. (My son has been trying to convince me the benefits, about how great it makes you feel. I know, I know all that. It's not an instant thing though son, and I'm tired. I'm finally just plain ole tired!)

But not that tired. It's just been a while and I needed some pushing. I have much gratitude for my middle son in getting me out the door for these 2 mile runs around the neighborhood. The views are pretty good, even on these gray and dreary days, and the company's not bad either (though he pretty much leaves me in the dust). 😄







No comments:

Post a Comment