TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, May 17, 2020

My Friday Hike when "They" Closed OC Beaches (5/1/20)

About a month into Shelter-In-Place (#COVID19) I began experiencing some arch pain, first in my right foot, then in my left. I ignored it at first. Why? Because I'm 55 years old and I suppose I'm bound to have some aches and pains. Besides that, ever since Shelter-In-Place, I'm not really paying too much attention to taking of myself. After some persistence, I finally decided to "Google" arch pain because that has never really been my pain (I'm more a heal, hip, knee or nerves near toes pain sort of girl). Well, as soon as I saw Plantar Fasciitis pop up at the top of the list of arch pain, I knew. Plantar Fasciitis is my nemesis. It is the chronic injury that I have suffered most in my trail adventures. For the longest time I thought that ear infections would be the death of me -- big problems as a kid, and even into adulthood, especially during my swimming years. But now I have changed my mind . . . it will be Plantar Fasciitis!! Like I said, as soon as I saw Plantar Fasciitis at the top of the list of arch pain, I knew. I don't know why this condition didn't manifest in heel pain this time. Anyway, this pain has been quite painful, and the condition eventually overcame my left foot as well.

Just before my realization that my nemesis was back, I had planned a nice long beach hike out my front door for Friday, May 1 I figured with all the beach parking lots closed I could set out for quite a few lonely miles along the coast, keeping all social distancing guidelines intact. I thought that I might record a "Friday Hike" video -- I had never done one for my hometown. Then the night before I read reports that the Governor of California closed all beaches. I didn't think much of the order until the next morning when it was clarified. The clarification: Only Orange County (my county) beaches were closed. 

I think that I've had just too much inside time. Don't get me wrong. I love it at home. All things are getting cleaned. I get to spend time with my family and I'm getting everything organized. But something just snapped in me that Friday morning after realizing that my county's beaches had been singled out for closure. This is my neighborhood. The beach is about a quarter mile away. I can't drive to my trails for a mountain hike or even one in the coastal hills. And now, I can't even walk along the coast in my home town. I was not pleased. And so, I took a hike anyway, a nice long one.

First, I walked down to Doheny State Beach which was shut up tight with law enforcement blocking the entrances. Eventually after taking on a bit of the jetty, then the marina and island, I ended up at the Marine Institute. From there, I took a hike that I haven't taken in about 7 years -- a hike around The Headlands. What a beautiful spot of beach right here in my home town. There's tunnels and rock climbing and a secluded private beach. Very, very easy to social distance here. In all, I did 8.5 miles on this Friday hike. I also did some Facebook Live video during the portion around the Headlands and connected some of those clips with some video I took on the way down PCH to document my crime of civil disobedience (Here). In all, I did find some beach (Marine Institute and Dana Strands) and had a lovely Friday hike. 

It was great to get out for something longish. I miss wandering.

Ps. I didn't come within 6 feet of another single person (and it was actually probably more like 20')





No comments:

Post a Comment