TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, August 3, 2009

Sleepy Gal Shootin' Baskets

I got in a two hour nap after Saturday’s run, and still went to bed fairly early. There was no recovery run for me Sunday. I just couldn’t put myself through it. How about a recovery swim? Okay, so I woke early, and hit the gym pool at 7:00 AM with a promise of only 1,500 yards. That’ll be an easy workout, I said to myself. Sunday afternoon, I promptly napped for a couple hours again.

Sleepy gal here. Well, I got to thinking, maybe I should take it easy for a bit. As a matter of fact, I haven’t done a short, easy road run in it seemed like ages. So I laced up my road shoes this morning and ran out the front door at 7:15. The sun was shining brightly, and the air was still. I ran right down the highway to the seashore, ran along the jetty where a couple of fishermen threw out lines. Then I made my way over to the wharf. Tourists, and I’m sure locals too, enjoyed breakfast in the restaurants that overlook the water. One boat took off from the wharf filled to the brim with eager fishermen.

This run seemed so unbelievably short. And though I worked up a good sweat, it was quite “easy” too. Easy’s a relative term of course. It was like I had been shooting baskets with a bowling ball, then this morning, someone all of a sudden handed me a basketball. And I took that basketball and floated alongside the marina, stopping for quick drinks at the water fountains along the way.

At the cliffs I turned around and made my way back home, plowing up the big hill with much improvement over past runs up that hill.

And then I dozed off yet again, about 3:30 this afternoon.

Miles logged this morning: 5.18

No comments:

Post a Comment