TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Hills are Alive

The only way right now to get heat training in the coastal hills of The O.C. is to run in the afternoon.  So I hit the dirt at Aliso/Wood Canyons at 3:30 PM today, Sunday.  And it was HOT.

It doesn’t look hot . . . SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

But it was HOT!  There were lots of runners in these hills.  Streams of bikers flew down hills.  Hikers hiked these hills clothed from head to toe in this weather – lots of them using hiking sticks.  The hills were alive with people, something I rarely see on my morning runs.

This guy is good!  (Cholla Trail)SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Though it was hot, I caught a breeze here and there.  And not only that, I could bare the heat!  Sure, this wasn’t Texas heat.  But it was still HOT, and I was not miserable.  I enjoyed my run.   My body temperature never increased more than a half degree.  I don’t want to speak too soon, but I do believe I’m getting my hill training back, and I am getting there with the heat training.  Wonderful.

Top of the World, Pacific Ocean behind meSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

I needed something a little different running back to the car.  A good 90% of the time I run this park, I run down Cholla.  Today, I decided to run down Lynx Trail, a much neglected trail by myself.  It was rocky, it was hot with very little shade, and it was lovely.

A pose before running down LynxSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Lynx TrailSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Ending up run on Wood Canyon TrailSANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

6.34 miles run today Smile (10.20 km)

My Activities out and back westridge - down lynx 7-17-2011, Elevation - Distance

3 comments:

  1. Did I miss something somewhere on why you are doing all the heat training? It is certainly paying off and will make you strong with great endurance. The one trail i train on can some days have lots of people with walking sticks and "full kit". Apparently some people use that route to train for Mt Kilimanjaro.
    I'll answer your questions in a post. I forgot to tag people for the Q&A. I'm tagging you if you haven't been.:)
    There are some family issues but everyone is OK. Thanks for your concern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tag Johann. I'll get to it right away : )) I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay. I'm heat training because I'm considering returning to a race called Bulldog 50k. It's got about 5,000 ft elevation gain and is HOT. Last time I tried it, heat did me in. I had to drop and was sick for at least 3 days. So, I've been on this heat adventure trying to make up my mind on whether I should enter. (Scared)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you must enter! You've done so much this year already. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete