TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Goat Recovery

I can now talk about Nanny Goat without tearing up.  It’s not that I’m sad about it. But even thinking about the event teared me up.  I don’t know exactly why.  I just know the whole experience has made me emotional. 

I haven’t had time to run since I crawled ran walked across the finish line on Sunday.  I’ve done some workouts at the gym since then.  One thing that I noticed immediately was that the weights I had been lifting suddenly seemed quite light this week.  I guess it’s time to up the weight.  Smile

Today, after some set-backs getting out the door, I finally made it to Aliso/Wood Canyons for my “recovery run.”  I ran a semi-big loop which included climbing Mentally Sensitive -- a hard-ass incline with an ocean view at the top and a stop by several adorable goats grazing upon the meadow grass.  Talk about a goat recovery!  

As I ran along the ridge, I began receiving text messages from my oldest son.  He was sitting in his high school class during a school-wide lockdown.  Apparently, (though we had no verifiable facts at the time), someone had found an empty rifle carrying case in the parking lot.  Knowing only for sure that they were on lockdown (all students locked within their classes), the police were swarming the campus and a helicopter hovered above (reports from hubby’s text messages), I decided to pick up my pace a bit for the last five miles.  Though I was quite fatigued, I managed to run it all the way in, not as a speed-racer mind you, but in plenty of time to make it home to worry more and see all the television news vans and parents lined up along the road near the high school.  (The students were finally released at about 4PM, an hour and fifteen minutes past regular time, and as far as we know, no gun was found.) 

10.88 miles run

No comments:

Post a Comment