TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Not Summer Yet

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESGym day yesterday, I was back on the trails late this morning.  I opted for a medium sized loop in Aliso and Wood Canyons.   I ran first through Aliso Canyon, turned off onto Wood Canyon Trail and made the first quick left onto Meadows.  Meadows is roughly 1.5 miles long, with the first half mile being relatively flat – exposed, but flat.  The remaining mile, still exposed, is a switchback with quite a climb, not quite brutal, but tough indeed.

 SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Though we were socked-in back at my house – the sun shined brightly in the canyons.  The marine layer hovered just offshore, hiding the Pacific Ocean.  My view from Top of the World was misty.  And I got some cool breezes because it’s not quite summer yet.  

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

I struggled to pick up my speed for the last 4 miles of this 9.5 mile run.  The run down Mathis, though downhill, was still tough – a good heat training trick, since there is absolutely no shade.  I figured that if I averaged a better pace than normal, I’d have enough time to get some grocery shopping done before tending to the rest of my day.  I managed that, but it came at a price.  Not talking about the standard prices, like eyes stinging from sweat and some overheating (got that though too).  I’m talking about that dang foot trouble.  Oh well.  I went off to my afternoon meeting with a limp, then got so busy for the rest of the day, that I neglected to stretch and take care of the foot.  Doh!  I guess I could still do it tonight before I go off to bed.  But I probably won’t.  At the very least, I will tape.  Winking smile

6 17 15

9.42 miles, 1,164’ elevation gain

No comments:

Post a Comment