TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, November 20, 2015

Packin’

I have not been able to increase my long run over the past few weeks due to time constraints.  Being stuck at 8 miles wasn’t cutting it, and quite frankly stressing me out.  But,  I had Chimera to coordinate (more on that later after I write the full story in my journal and then cut out all the bad stuff for this blog Smile).  I put in various 5 mile runs to Top of the World, and once a week long runs.  Not seeing much improvement.  But, I know that’s how it is – no perceived improvement for a long time, then suddenly I will be able to put in the mileage that I want.  But not if I stay at an 8 mile long run!  So, today I decided to throw out the 10% rule (that is, only increasing my long runs 10% each week).  I increased my 8 mile long run by 50% (Mama Mia!) and went for a 12 mile run along Arroyo Trabuco Trail.  For the first time in a long time, I was packin’ on my run.  I strapped on my hydration vest (which I wasn’t even sure how to find, then ended up locating it beneath the kitchen table), and hit the trails about 10:30 AM.   

I am here to report that increasing a long run by 40% is a big deal.  The first six miles were very doable, but not exactly enjoyable.  I did once or twice stop, climb up on a bank and look up to the sky to take in the lovely hawks soaring above.  But overall, the way out was a minor struggle. 

The way back however, was a little bit more than a minor struggle.  I was beat.  Beat!  By the time I finally made it back my truck, I wanted to collapse to the grass.  The only reason I did not collapse (and cry in agony) was because I really needed to tend to the most important thing – stretching so that my plantar fascia did not return to instill great pain upon my when I arrived home.

Overall, the foot held up great. The true test will come tomorrow morning.  

Miles logged:  12.07

Pictures from the course:

Tijeras CreekSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Tijeras Creek Trail / Arroyo Trabuco JunctionSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Arroyo Trabuco TrailSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

No comments:

Post a Comment