TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, November 8, 2015

West Ridge to The Top of The World and Back

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESI’ve run the same five mile out-and-back three times this week.  The route:  West Ridge (in Aliso Viejo) to Top of the World (in Laguna Beach.)  I take all the detours for extra elevation.  But I can’t tell you what that elevation is because I can’t upload my garmin to my computer.  I have tried everything and I am frustrated to no end about this because I am a data junkie.  I can tell you, just because I have a sense of elevation, and I know these hills I run in, that the elevation gain for this five mile out-and-back is between 900 and 1000 feet. 

It feels wonderful to get out there on the trails, even trails as active as these in the coastal hills.  West Ridge is a popular trail.  It’s easy to get to and has many entry/exit points.  I always see people riding their bikes, hiking and running.  The other day, a large dog jumped on me and nearly knocked me to the ground.  It’s all good though – West Ridge has awesome views of our Saddleback Mountains and the Pacific Ocean at the same time.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Progress is super slow.  Foot pain is minimal.  Actually, its practically non-existent. Yay!  I’m starting to feel okay, not exactly loving it, but perhaps that will come again.  But then I decided to do some running on the treadmill yesterday after my gym work out, and boy did I feel like crap.  So, so difficult to keep a constant 12 minute mile for 2.5 miles.  And I couldn’t help but think, do I even want to run anymore???? What the hell am I doing?  What do I even want?

Yikes.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear the foot is getting better. I'm sure you'll figure things out when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fun and enjoyment will be back for sure. I'm glad the foot is better. Hang in there Lauren!

    ReplyDelete