TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Modified Out-and-Back

Sunday afternoon, I went for a run in a usual place (Wood Canyon). But I decided to modify my regular out-and-back because there’s just no adventure in an out-and-back that I’ve done over and over again, especially when the weather is fine, and the trails are so tranquil. There’s just really no danger. And I need to have some reason to carry my weapons after all. Winking smile

I stuck to Wood Canyon in its entirety on the out portion because I didn’t want to mess with its glorious gradual downhill practically the entire way. (Still, it was difficult – hehe, I am so out of shape!)

Wood Canyon:

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

On the back portion of this modified out-and-back, I took a detour off of Wood Canyon and ran into Mathis Canyon where I caught Coyote Run Trail. This is a lovely single-track, with some shade, and plenty of mountain bikers (wherein lies the danger Smile). After being dumped out into Wood Canyon again, I took another detour. This time onto a little known trail called Wood Creek. There’s no trail marker at the entrance, and in some parts it’s morose and dark because the lush canopy blots out the sunlight. Seriously. There’s moss and mushrooms growing in the brush. And I even get to climb two flights of stairs, which proved quite strenuous for me on Sunday. And best of all (even though I really do love people), I didn’t see a single soul – just dainty little wild flowers and some maiden hair ferns. If I had fallen and broken my leg, who knows how long someone would have come along to help. (The taste of danger!) It’s a secret trail, so shhhhh. There’s only a trail marker at one end, and it looks so unassuming that few venture there. So don’t tell anyone!

(total miles on Sunday, 7.21)

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

Oh, one more thing. I started recording miles in 2017. January results are in. Looking forward to increasing in February:

Cycle (stationary @ the gym): 83.71 miles

Elliptical: 41.85 miles

Ran: 57.27 miles, 5,454’ elevation gained

Happy February!

No comments:

Post a Comment