TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Run for Fun

I admit I was pretty crazy in my last post.  I was just a little angry with myself for throwing out my goals at the last minute.  I’m better now, attitude-wise that is.  I’ve still got this nagging cold, though it’s bearable.  I spent the past few days foam rolling, doing floor exercises, jumping up the backyard porch steps.  I didn’t have it in my heart to run, or even go to the gym.

Today it was time run.  A time to run for fun.  My favorite wilderness park (Aliso / Wood Canyons) finally opened after our heavy rains.  I set out with no distance or trails in mind.  I wasn’t even sure which trails were open. 

I won’t lie.  The climbs were tough.  I struggled more than usual.  But I enjoyed the stress free I-don’t-HAVE-to-do-nothing attitude.  I could run wherever I wanted, as fast (or as slow) as I wanted, and I could stop whenever I wanted.

Turned out that I ran a rather leisurely pace up to Top of the World.  And I stopped only a few times to snap a picture.  Erosion was evident.  Skies were clear and blue.  And the weather, well I dressed for my 10:00 AM run at 7:30 AM, so I was QUITE warm. 

Erosion on West Ridge

CIMG8634

More Erosion on West Ridge, nearing Top of the World

CIMG8635

Park Avenue Nature Trail (a little detour from Top of the World to West Ridge)

CIMG8644

CIMG8648

Miles logged my first time back after Calico: 6.59

Elevation Profile:

My Activities aliso woods out and back 1-20-2011, Elevation - Distance

6 comments:

  1. Now that's what its all about! Fantastic! Take this attitude into your next race and running is fun all the way. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the altitude. We don't have anything like that around my neck of the woods. Will have to check out your trails the next time I am in CA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment today. I think I'm heading over to Aliso/Wood this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Johann. I hope you had a great weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Trail Jogger. I definately have some great trails locally. But they are nothing to the local mountains around here : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn! I hope had a chance to make it out to Aliso/Wood Cyns. All trails are open, some bridges are out, but everything is dry. Which surprises that El Moro isn't open yet.

    ReplyDelete