TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, March 5, 2012

Converted!

When you become a long distance runner (something I never in a million years would have thought I’d become, and I still have a hard time admitting to) you lose perspective on distance. 

Before continuing, I want to note that I consider myself more a trail runner than I do a long distance runner.  Many athletes run much longer distances than I.  Just so happens that I love trails so much, that I run and run and run.

Anyway, back to losing perspective.  I’ve forgotten how difficult it was to get my long run up to 4 miles.  And though I remember the joy of running ten miles for the first time, I’ve come to think of ten miles as a short run.  Four miles is really short.  That’s what I mean about losing perspective.  I know dang well that ONE mile is a long way.  It’s just hard for me to see now.  My family knows that I have no perspective on distance, and of course teases me about it.  My son says things like, “Mom thinks 20 miles is a short run,” which I don’t, or, “What’d you run, 100 miles today?”  (Of course, I have not done a 100 mile run).

Well, this morning, I think I finally converted my husband into losing distance perspective.  I told him that I was going to run to The Top of the World and back via Cholla Trail and West Ridge, a six mile run.  When I returned, he looked at me surprised to see me in the house so “quickly” and said, “Boy, six miles is short!”  Yes, he actually said that six miles was short.  LOL. 

Yes it was a “shortish” run, but by no means SHORT.  And I ran it in my usual stomping grounds, Aliso/Wood Canyons – it was a lovely, relaxing run.

Welcome to Wood Canyon:

Spring Bouquet:

My favorite running shoes:

Another Spring Bouquet:

A Look Down on Laguna Canyon from West Ridge:

Spring flowers Contrast Burnt Shrubbery at Top of the World:

Top of the World:

6.39 miles (10.28 miles) run this morning:My Activities To Top of the World 3-5-2012, Elevation - Distance copy

8 comments:

  1. When the weather looks that nice i guess six mile sis short! Great pictures, your so lucky to run were u do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Ed. I am very, very lucky. : )

      Delete
  2. Ha! My kids think I am nuts too. I run further than they ride their bikes. We were down near the 5 one day and I said "Oh, I've been through this area on one of my runs (I still do a lot of street miles) and my 14yr old looked at me like I was crazy. It was only about 9mi from the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it kind of fun Ed, for your kids to think you're nuts? I think it will give them fond memories and stories in their middle/old age. : ) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Im nowhere near the distances you are yet, but I hope to be one day.. Even in my shorter distances I find myself saying I "Only" did 2 or 3 miles.. thats a long way for some folks! I clearly remember in October 2010 when I first started that even running 30 seconds was a killer. Looking back its incredible to think of how out of shape I was and how much I still have to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing great Khourt! I remember when I couldn't run a neighborhood block. i felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  4. 2.4 miles was the length of the (flat trail) loop that I first tried to tackle after I had quit smoking and started [trying] to run. It took 3 months to be able to run it all the way round. Now, despite 50+ marathon or greater finishes since then, I still consider that 2.4 mile "finish" as one of my greatest achievements.

    Sometimes it is pretty difficult to keep how far we have all come in perspective. I try (often unsuccessfully) to eliminate the word "only" from my vocabulary when hanging around other runners.

    Great pictures and more insane jealousy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimbo. I try too to eliminate the word "only," and I also try not to say that I'm a "slow" runner, because as soon as I say that to someone, that will be the person that runs slower than I do (and that last thing I want to do is insult another runner).

      Funny story, I was once asked by a swimmer if she could share my lane, and I said, "Okay, but I'm a really slow swimmer." Turns out she was about the slowest swimmer I've ever met in my life (& I was KICKING myself for my "slow" comment!)

      Delete