TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, August 17, 2012

Rut

I am currently in the midst of the biggest running rut I’ve ever experienced.  I was rarely the lady who needed pushing out the door to go run.  I’d run out the door to go run trails. 

This week I’ve run a little over 6 miles.  I’ve awakened early every day to run.  My stack of gear is already to go, on top of the piano.  Yet, when it comes right down to it, I am in such a downer mood that I can’t get out the door.  Let me rephrase that, I refuse to push myself out the door. 

I may be sabotaging myself because the big ultra is now just two months away (less actually).  My diet has been crummy.  I’m not losing weight.  And I’m partaking too much from the vine. 

MBDGOWI EC031It’s like I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.  But I will get up.  (& even during this rut, I’ve been strength training on my living room floor).  And as Scarlett O’Hara said so eloquently in Gone with The Wind, “After all, tomorrow is another day.”

7 comments:

  1. Eh. Ruts happen. Maybe an extra lazy week is what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giraffy. Yes, ruts happen. They happen ALL THE TIME in other parts of my life. Not so much with running

      Delete
  2. I seriously hope you didn't catch it from me. Had a fellow running friend ask me if I was sabotaging myself with my poor eating. Never thought about it that way but I guess in a way I was. I have a bit more time before my next big ultra but I'm hoping to get back up on my horse soon. Best of luck getting out of the rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I didn't get it from you Lumberjack. I am the queen of self-sabotaging. Now it stops. : )

      Delete
  3. I think sometimes when I start thinking down thoughts about myself that I do tend to sabotage myself. I guess its part of the learning and growing experience.. I hope to be able to recognize it in the future and stop it in its tracks. Having motivational pictures and quotes and reading other peopls blogs helps me get out of those ruts sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Convert. I think motivational quotes is a great idea. I'm going to put one in my vest pocket for tomorrow's run right now. : )

      Delete
  4. (Sorry,I am late. Have been on vacation)

    Ruts happen and perhaps it's simply our body asking for rest .... as I can see, you did well after the middle August rut :)

    ReplyDelete