TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Easy in a Hard Way

After dropping the boys off at school this morning, I ran my short run – a 6.5 mile out-and-back to Top of the World in Laguna Beach.  I got in some hill work.  But I got in hill work even during my “rest while running month.”  Hill work is not my focus – hills are my strange addiction.   My focus today was to recover quicker than I have been, after conquering a hill.  West Ridge has plenty of rolling hills, and some tough hills to work on picking up after recovery.

You see, while inadvertently training myself to run slowly, I realized that after conquering a hill, I often run in a recovery pace on the flats and downhills.  Today, I allowed only a short recovery, then using my garmin to judge, forced a pace increase after every uphill. 

Overall I felt strong today.  What a joy!  It’s been a long time.  I’m tempted to write that this hilly run was easy.  Yes, it was easy.  It was easy in a hard, sweaty, grueling way. 

Running down into Wood Canyon:

The lovely long and windy road ahead (West Ridge):

Looking down on the Pacific Ocean:

Top of the World:

Heading back to the truck with a view of The Saddleback Mountains:

The profile:Running cyn vistas out-and-back to top of the world 12-11-2012, Elevation - Distance

No comments:

Post a Comment