TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away

Rain poured down upon us this week, not unlike the dental bills that slapped me as well. Thursday, the clouds parted, so I was able to squeeze in a nice beach/marina run, totalling 9.9 miles. I felt relief. That night we celebrated my oldest son receiving his second degree black belt with dinner at a scrumptious Italian restaurant. (Boy, was I glad about those ten miles!)

Friday, it was awards for the boys at their school. Then it was more rain and back to the dentist. Ouch, ouch, ouch. And then . . . and then, a gypsy woman snagged a twenty dollar bill right out of my hand in the Target parking lot. No lie.

I really needed the rain to LET UP. But that, it did not. Squeezed in the gym on Saturday. It just wasn't the same as getting out there and running.

Rain, rain, rain -- all day Saturday. Sunday's race cancelled (therefore, I won't make twenty races this year), I still laid out my gear for a run Sunday A.M. I was hopeful. So, so hopeful.

Up at 5:30 AM Sunday morning, the skies dark, but dry, I laced up my shoes, donned a pair of running PANTS and gloves, zipped up my hoodie, with the hood tied tight around my face and ran out the door at 6:30. It was cold, cold, cold, but that breeze was wonderful.

I headed south first -- the streets were wet and empty. The river that dumps into Doheny flowed with choppy waters. The campgrounds practically empty, I circled them twice before running until the sidewalk ended.

The hood came off quickly, as did the gloves. The sun peeked through the clouds for a bit. Then the black clouds rolled back in. Counting runners as I made my way through the beaches, I never really felt fatigued. I felt relaxed, tranquil. I ran out to the jetty -- thousands of birds flocked about the waters. I ran through the wharf, more and more runners showing up. And I wondered how much longer I'd be able to keep up this run before the rain came down upon us again.

I ran across to the island, a sea lion leisurely swam at the mouth of the harbor. I reached the cliffs, amazed how quickly the miles had sped by. And there at the base of the cliffs, a rescue boat floated just off shore, looking for a jumper who took a dive off the cliffs to end it all. As I ran up the grass park and alongside the cliff path, I could hear the search helicopter and sirens headed in that direction. And way over there on the cliff where the woman had jumped, I saw a person standing. (I heard later at the grocery store, that the poor jumper was with a friend when she decided it was better to die than anything else -- I wondered if that person I could see was the friend. What a terrible night she's having tonight). Terrible. Someone at the store said that the woman was the third jumper off those cliffs this month. Can you imagine?

I can't.

Miles logged this morning: 12.55
Number of other runners out there this morning: 44

3 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! No wonder you have plenty to blog about. That's it, I'm moving to OC so a gypsy can rip me off. Maybe I should run along side of you and eventually something extraordinary is bound to happen. Glad to hear you're ok. Hey I'm headed to Mt. Baldy for a trail run with friends. I sent Tom the info via email but don't have yours. Can you send me your email address so I can fill you in? Maybe we can get Sheila and Kelly out there or anyone else interested. Enjoy your week and keep your money in your purse!!! :) Hank
    hlg1962@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. running PANTS! You people don't listen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hank -- LOL. Everything's a story! I don't have to make up a thing. I've wanted to run Mt. Baldy for a while -- just not sure I can hack it. : ) I'll e-mail you my e-mail. And money is in the purse (what little I have : )

    Rich -- it's just so cold on those early morning beach runs. I gotta do pants : )

    ReplyDelete