TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It’s not just the same ole’ thing, it’s one of my favorite places

Tuesday, my usual run day, I woke with terrible lower back pain.  Not spasms, just pure pain, mainly on the right side.  I thought, “Oh no, the auto accident injury has returned.”  I racked my brain what I could have done to injure my back.  Monday I swam, and I’ve only ever slightly injured my shoulder swimming – and that was once, a long, long time ago.  Swimming’s just not an injury sport for me.  I did some weights also and core work too, but nothing different than I’ve ever done.

Didn’t matter so much how I did it; the pain was killer.  And when I walked off the back porch, that pain radiated down into my right leg.  So painful this was I grew nauseated.  Ibuprofen did nothing.  I stopped after taking FIVE (over about five hours) and went for the ice instead.  Ice pretty much did nothing.  Needless to say, I didn’t run Tuesday, I didn’t do much of anything, except what I had to do.  In between drop offs and pick ups, I napped on the couch, a heating pad wrapped around my back.

By Tuesday night (I taught one class), pain was minimal but still present.  I parked so that I didn’t have to take any steps, because any step down continued to shoot pain into my thigh.

So strange.  I went to bed uncomfortable, then finally fell asleep on my back (I am a side sleeper).  I woke throughout the night, anxious wondering if the pain was there.  I wasn’t moving to find out.  6:00 am, I finally got up and NOTHING.  Absolutely no pain in my back WHATSOEVER.  I was bewildered.  I certainly didn’t twist and turn to test it out.  There was, I noticed, some tightness in my right glute.

Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase – I fit in a run on a Wednesday (another rarity – change is good).  I did run my favorite park to Top of the World, and since I ran it a little faster than usual, I ran back down via Rock It.  I felt strong, just a slight ache, not even ache, more like a tiny discomfort in my right hip, I concentrated on the rock trail, picking up my pace some.  As customary these days, I hugged the side of the trail of this popular mountain biking portion, when WHAM!  I smacked head-on directly into a branch.  I didn’t even see it because of the dang hat on my head.  It whacked me good on the forehead, but not good enough to throw me to the ground. 

Talk about adventure!  I’ll tell you, there’s ALWAYS an adventure, whether good or bad, it’s there.  At the bottom of Rock It, I ran a lovely, shady Coyote Run Trail, then wood Canyon for, I’m serious when I say this, a fantastic run in Aliso/Wood Canyons.

At Top of the World (Via Cholla & West Ridge)

CIMG7022

CIMG7024

Heading back down West Ridge, toward Rock It

CIMG7028

Rock It Trail

CIMG7030 

One of my favorite places in Aliso/Woods (on Rock It after running into branch)

CIMG7034

Miles run today:  7.69

My Activities cyn vistas, west ridge, rock it , coyote, wood cyn 9-22-2010, Elevation - Distance

4 comments:

  1. Nice!

    And love the shirt...what is it details please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That shirt has a pile of pirate skulls on the front -- very colorful details. I bought it at the store next to the Pirates of Carribean, many years ago. I love that shirt, but am apprehensive wearing it at times -- like when dropping my kindergartner off at school (but it may be better than today's shirt which said, "will run for wine." : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your back is better! Wow - our elevation profiles look very similar - fellow trail runner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glenn, One of these days we're going to pass each other on the trail. : )

    ReplyDelete