TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Six Deer!

5:40 AM as I drove away from my home the skies were black.  What happened to the sun?  Times are a changing again.  Not too long ago, 6:00 AM runs gave us light skies.

The 3rd runner of today’s group run was running late, she text’d me for us to go ahead without her.  I was hoping we’d meet up on the trail.  We never did.  Sheila and I ran those lovely trails that parallel Wood Canyon together, chatting along the way, enjoying the cool, wet air.  We both love that cool morning air to run in. 

This morning’s run was a heck of a lot easier for me than that 3.25 mile run at Disney.  And it was very nice for a change to stay on the lower trails, rather than huff and puff to the top.  We ran Wood Canyon Trail, then hopped onto Dripping Cave Trail.  From there we hit Mathis and ran down to connect to Coyote Run until it lead us back out onto Wood Canyon.  We ran Wood Canyon to the end.  On the way back, we ran Wood Creek Trail, a beauty of a trail, rarely traveled when I ran straight through a fully developed spider web. Wood Creek dumped us out on Wood Canyon.  And that’s were we saw them – six, yes six, lovely deer grazing in the grass.  That is the most deer I’ve ever seen on the trail at once.  Absolutely amazing.  Part of what trail running is all about!

Dripping Cave

CIMG6805

Dripping Cave Trail – an eerie fairy tale

CIMG6806

Coyote Run Trail

CIMG6807

Wood Creek Trail

CIMG6810

More Wood Creek – look at all that leaf litter, sheer delight!

CIMG6811

More Delight on Wood Canyon Trail

CIMG6820 

CIMG6823

Count ‘Em, 6, SIX Deer!CIMG6824

The Crazy Runners who Hit the Trail in the Dark this Sunday Morning

CIMG6828

9.91 miles logged today : )

6 comments:

  1. Great photos.

    Did you ever hear Louis CK talk about deer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos; the woods look magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Six deer! Amazing! I never think of the coastal hills as having that much wildlife outside of rabbits and skunks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, I haven't heard Louis CK talk about deer. I will have to google Louis CK, haven't heard the name before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stuart. Some of the trails there are magical. My favorite wilderness in my parts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn. Keep your eyes peeled. I've seen deer, coyotes, bobcats, rattlers, and other snakes, quail, thousands of caterpillars, beetles, bunnies, and squirrels in these coastal hills. Fortunately, I haven't come across a skunk yet (but I have in my backyard!)

    ReplyDelete