TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Content

When I began writing my running blog on My Space about 5 years ago, I intended to blog EVERY TIME that I ran.  I blogged treadmill runs, I blogged one mile runs, I blogged mundane runs, triumphant runs, and failed runs.  I wondered whether I could keep up the creativity and have something interesting to write about every single run.  

There were times on this blog when I considered quitting running.  There were times when running was the ultimate highlight of my life.  I wrote about crying on the trail.  I wrote about laughing on the trail.   At times my trail running made my family very proud.  And at times, it made them quite angry because of the time it stole me away.  Many trail running partners have come and gone during these blogging years, and I remember all of those running friends fondly.  I blogged about running in extreme heat, in rain, in snow.  I even blogged about being rescued – actually more than once (once by rangers in Texas and another time by a stranger when I ran off the trail during a 50k, and more than once by my husband who either navigated on-line over the phone with me or drove to pick me up). 

Well!  I think the day has come when I don’t have much to say about my trail run.  I ran it in a usual place this morning, Aliso/Wood Canyons.  I ran a usual route, an out-and-back up Cholla trail to Top of the World.  I came across many hikers, many bikers, just two runners.  It was beautiful.  I was slow.  But I was content.   Most of all, I felt like after a week of recovery, I am ready to get back into the game! 

I’ve been running by these little critters all over the place at Aliso/Wood Canyons lately:

Running a single-track that shoots off of West Ridge and returns to West Ridge (a fun addition for more elevation):

While I snapped some photos, an elderly hiker offered to take my picture.  He was a tough guy taking on such a route (the West Ridge hike):

Top of the World facing Pacific Ocean/Laguna Beach:

Top of the World facing Saddleback Mountains:

Prickly Peak blossom on Cholla Trail:

Profile of a happy trail runner’s content run:My Activities out and back top of the world from cyn vistas 4-24-2012, Elevation - Distance

6 comments:

  1. Maybe content but I still enjoyed reading about this run just as much as all the others. The photos say so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the photos Johann. Sometimes I think I take too much. But then again, trails are just so beautiful, I'd rather enjoy my time clicking away than regretting that I didn't.

      Delete
  2. You have nothing to say and yet you can still tell a story. While the treadmill runs don't sound terribly exciting to read about, keep the content rolling. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lumberjack -- your comment is definitely one of the nicest things anyone has EVER said (or written) to me. Really. Maybe I still do have a future in story telling. Thanks. You made my day!!!

      Delete
  3. The pictures speak for themselves. Sometimes nothing else can be said. I have days like that. I always try to log something on dailymile (where I track my miles before writing them down) but sometimes theres just nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true wise woman. Thanks for reading Khourt! Always appreciate your comments.

      Delete