TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Emerald Canyon

Saturday I got back out for some trails in Laguna Wilderness.  Still not running, though I did run a couple of hills on this trip.  And I kept the cast splint off again, as even though I cannot straighten my arm yet, I really need to be able to swing it some.  With the cast, swinging is difficult but with it tightly wrapped I can get some movement in. 

I started off on Bommer Ridge and made it to my favorite ridge in this area, Moro Ridge with its gorgeous 180 degree ocean views.  But this time, instead of taking Moro Ridge to the end, I took an unmarked single track to my left after travelling the ridge for about a mile. 

This unmarked single track was a lovely piece of work with lots of rocks and a clear shot of Emerald Canyon, which I have not ventured to in years.   At times the trail got so steep and technical that I got down on my behind and scooted down.  I just cannot risk falling right now. 

This unmarked single track dumped out smack in the middle of Emerald Canyon, right near a bridge that I have never seen before.  Apparently, it was built about two years ago (according to a trail runner I came up on). It is a bridge to nowhere as this trail runner put it.  And indeed it is, but a gorgeous single track to nowhere.  You see, Emerald Canyon trail abruptly ends at a giant chain-link fence with an exclusive Laguna Beach neighborhood on the other side.

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES

For the trip back, (which was a five mile uphill trek), I decided to take Old Emerald Falls, an old favorite of mine, which winds through a giant meadow and up another rocky single track to Moro Ridge.  From there, I hopped onto Missing Link, which I regretted with its constant ups and downs (I was dang tired).  But, thankfully, that little detour ended up cutting my trek short by about a half a mile.  I was ready for a nap!

SAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURESSAMSUNG CAMERA PICTURES1 2 161 2 16a

No comments:

Post a Comment