TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Crystal Cove Xterra Training Run

A fitful night of sleep, I woke surprisingly rested at 5 AM, rain pounding down, wind whistling through trees with their branches swaying ferociously. (It was quite a scene -- I'll tell ya!) Gosh, I thought, and I'm going on a trail run. I bundled up good and hit Highway One under darkness. As soon as I made Laguna Beach, rain had ceased.

Thank goodness.

There were about 13 of us in the group today, some of us training for Xterra's 17K next month, others out just for the fun of it : ) Boy am I glad I got a look at that trail before attempting it in the race. It begins on a good mile and a half uphill, up El Moro Ridge to Bommer Ridge (which leveled out some, but was still ascending). Even going down "Pacific Ridge Trail" wasn't all downhill.

Quite a trail -- I've got to get my behind in gear for this one, less than two weeks away. (And I do have a game-plan, but I think I'll start it on Monday : )

Miles logged this morning: 10.6 (17 kilometers)

Despite the trail's difficulty -- it was a beautiful day indeed!

Me in the beanie and gripping a parking pass that I just paid FIFTEEN dollars for, Sheila lacing up for the run, Hank raring to go (photo courtesy Tom)


The climbing begins from step one (photo courtesy Tom)


Group Photo of some of our group (13 total ran today -- again, photo courtesy Tom)


"Mama always told me not to look into the Eyes of the Sun.
But Mama, that's where the fun is"


And I ran with a rain poncho tucked in my belt the whole way!


Heading back (& climbing again)


If I can see it, we're almost there -- see that blue there yonder?


"My Bonnie lies over the ocean . . . "


Some of the guys (I didn't catch everyone's name -- I was too far behind : )
(Tom's photo)



Tom provides cold drinks for all!



Sheila bids Farewell (photo courtesy Tom)

No comments:

Post a Comment