TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not a Good Day to Run in Pants

I went for my run this morning in pants.  Mainly because it has been so cold lately, and also before I was a trail runner and ran only roads, I wore pants.  I put them on today out of habit.  Needless to say, I was exasperated by the heat.  I even changed my route to avoid the sun as much as possible.  It was 86 degrees, I hear.  EIGHTY SIX. 

I'm not complaining really.  I swore to never wear pants to run again, and enjoyed my carefree run.  I added a few sprints, experienced no pain whatsoever, most importantly in the hip.  I passed plenty of drinking fountains throughout the marina, made sure to run the shady sidewalks.  And then to my delight, I saw a friend that I basically haven't seen since I started trail running (we used to pass each other at the marina all the time). 

Actually, I didn't see her at all.  In fact, I ran right past her, my earphones blaring. Then ever so faintly, I heard, "Lauren!  Lauren!  Is that you?"

Nowadays when I hear someone say, "Lauren," I don't even flinch.  It seems like every third little girl is named Lauren.  Growing up, I was the only Lauren I knew.  Well, not exactly.  There was Lauren Bacall, Lorne Greene and a boy named Loren in my high school class.  So, today, it was almost like a dream, someone faintly hollaring, "Lauren."  I'm not sure why I suddenly halted and turned around.  But I did.

I love coming across people I haven't seen in a long, long time.  It's one of my delights on this earth.  We chatted for a few minutes, she put back on her headphones, I put mine back on, she continued her walk, I continued my run.  Just like the old days (well, not that old -- I've only been running trails since June '08, and didn't almost entirely give up road runs until last June).

Miles logged this hot, hot morning:  8.66 

No comments:

Post a Comment