TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Friday, March 18, 2011

Pavement Slapping My Feet

Okay, I’m back.  Sick two days, I decided (except for some exercises) to take three days off from running, because I’m so fearful of a relapse.  A relapse of what?  Fever, Chills, etc. . . Not fun.

Time is fleeting (well, isn’t it always?)  That should be my slogan.  Actually it is my slogan.  (Well . . . actually, it’s a line from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Time Warp  -- parenthesis are mine :

Time is fleeting
Madness takes its toll...
But listen closely...
Not for very much longer...
I've got to keep control. (Ya!  When’s that gonna happen?)
I remember doing the Time Warp. (When was this, I’d like to know ???)
Drinking those moments when
The blackness would hit me.
And the void would be calling.
Let's do the Time Warp again.
Let's do the Time Warp again. (Ok, I have to put my 2 cents in here – who the heck wants to do the time warp – not me!!)
It's just a jump to the left.
And then a step to the right.
With your hand on your hips.
You bring your knees in tight. (Ya!  ya!!)
But it's the pelvic thrust (Yes, yes, I can do the pelvic thrust! ).
They really drive you insane.
Let's do the Time Warp again.
It's so dreamy
Oh, fantasy free me
So you can't see me
No not at all.
In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention.
Well secluded I see all...
With a bit of a mind flip...
You're into a time slip...
And nothing can ever be the same. (True! True!!!!)
You're spaced out on sensation.
Like you're under sedation. (Interesting!)
Let's do the Time Warp again.
Let's do the Time Warp again.
Well, I was walking down the street
Just having a think
When a snake of a guy
Gave me an evil wink. (I know him!!)
Well it shook me up
It took me by surprise
He had a pick-up truck (Yup, know that pick-up truck!)
And the devil's eyes
He stared at me
And I felt a change
Time meant nothing
Never would again.
Let's do the Time Warp again.

Okay  . . . Where was I???  Heck!  Lemme think!   Oh yes,  back to my running!  As I said, with time so fleeting, I couldn’t fit in trails, so I took a local paved run down to the beaches and marina.  I felt well recovered from the 50k, except for my recent sickness.  Actually, when I set off, I felt exuberant.  I carried nothing on my back, nothing in my hands.   I planned to drink at fountains only.  Overall, I have this to report:  the garmin was a burden.  I noticed too often how slowly I ran.  And I felt tired.  I don’t think I was ready to run after this illness.  But still, I pushed through.  I witnessed ten or so seals swimming in a circle in the wharf.  And the wind blew in my face nearly the entire run.

I have to say, it felt like that cement SLAPPED at my feet.  They (my feet) actually ached when I returned home.  I felt like I have truly trained my feet to run on dirt.  I like dirt.  This girly girl likes dirt.  Go figure. 

Such is life.

Crossing Pedestrian Bridge On Way To Beaches – Notice Green Shirt – Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!!! : )))  Corn Beef & Hash Tonight!!CIMG9396

Relic From The Past (Shame For The Chain Link Behind)CIMG9398

Beached Yacht On San Juan Creek Diverted (Doheny Beach in Background)CIMG9400

Wonderful Rustic Pier At Far End Of Marina Just Before My TurnaroundCIMG9406

My feet ached more than ever after this paved fun.  I felt light-headed, a bit nauseous.  Perhaps I shouldn’t have run today.  But I really felt it was time.  It was time.  I can’t go too many days (especially when not injured).

As a side note, I talked to one of my student’s mother’s tonight. Ends up, she ran professionally for South Africa for many years.  And she’s a wonderful woman to talk with to boot!  (I love writing “to boot!”).  Can’t wait to pick her brain.  (That’s 3 S. African’s I met in person recently, 2 students and one mother) what a pleasure they all are, even though, the boy (a senior) claims I “hate” him – I actually don’t.  I want him to succeed.  I really enjoy all my students.  I want them all to succeed.  Oddly, in college, I kinda despised idealists.  And here I am an idealist for every single one of my students – Go!  I say!  I really do like you, and it wouldn’t matter if I didn’t.  What really matters is, if you do!   : )  You Can Succeed!!  (But be patient!!!)

Miles logged this morning:  9.3

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to run even though it was slapping your feet. Some beautiful photos there! I'm curious now...who is the South African mother that ran for SA? Take it easy after you were sick. Have a good Friday and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Johann. Glad this post made sense. Went to a Saint Patricks Party last night. We were the first to leave, but not before 1 too many glasses of wine. The last name of the lady who ran for SA is Kahn. For the life of me, I can't remember her first name right now. You have a good weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember now! Catherine (she pronounced it Cathereen). I remember thinking "Catherine the Great" so that I would remember her name : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ran on some incredible sand dunes and dried up river bed in St. George, Utah. I don't miss the cement one bit!
    Frankenfurter rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sand dunes had to be tough. River bed in St. George sounds awesome. We used to drive through there every year (before the children : ) to camp in Antimony, Utah. LOL re: Frankenfurter : ) I used to know the entire soundtrack by heart.

    ReplyDelete