TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve Run

Early, early this Christmas Eve, before the sun rose, I met running friend Jeremy for a run up Maple Springs, Four Corners and onward to Modjeska Peak.  This was the fifth day of my running streak, so I doubted that I’d have the strength for such a tremendous run up the mountain.  Good company goes a long way in strengthening the body and soul.  Really.  It does.

Definitely Christmas weather when we started off running through the canyon – that is COLD.  But seven and a half miles up to the Main Divide is enough to warm up this runner.  From there we headed off to the peak, and the weather grew cold again.  Cold and windy.  I cannot adequately describe, nor can any camera, the amazingly beautiful scenes that graced us along the way.  Some people wonder why I do things like this, some jokingly question my sanity.  I’m sure some seriously question my sanity.  The majestic scenes are partly why I do this.  They remind me to enjoy the moment, and they remind me that I really do live in a beautiful world. 

View running up Maple Springs:

Four Corners:

Shade covered the run up the Main Divide to the peak.  And once we lost the mountainside as a shield, the wind picked up.  My hands were numb. Then when we reached the peak, it seemed there was so much to the view that I hadn’t taken in on my first trip there last week.  Besides layers of mountain ridges, we could see the skyscrapers in Los Angeles.  And straight out in the Pacific Ocean, Catalina Island stood out like another mountain range.  And to the left of that, San Clemente Island.  

View running up Main Divide to Modjeska Peak:

Running out to Modjeska Peak edge:

Posing before a remarkable view (and it’s cold, cold, cold):

View from Modjeska Peak:

Mountain bikers made their way up as we ran the 9 mile descent.  And then, I couldn’t believe it.  There was Tom riding his bike up the mountain.  This was the second time in 8 days that I came upon my old running partner in the mountains (And AGAIN, I don’t mean old as in age.)  It had been so long since I had seen Tom.  Before these recent Maple Springs sightings, I had seen Tom ONCE in probably over a year, maybe more! 

Tom and Jeremy on Maple Springs:

Jeremy and I continued the long descent.  Crossing streams in the canyon, my energy level was wearing thin.  Before I knew it, nearly five hours later, this run was over.  Sure I was dead-dog tired.  Still, I couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas Eve run. 

Merry Christmas!

18.15 miles run this morning (29.21 km):  My Activities Maple Springs to Modjesko Peak & back 12-24-2011, Elevation - Distance

2 comments:

  1. Great run Lauren. Thanks for letting me tag along. Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for "tagging along" (LOL) Jeremy. Really enjoyed the run. Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas Eve run. Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! And good luck to you in your upcoming races!! : )

    ReplyDelete