TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Enjoy

I scratched original plans to visit the gym today and put in just about 2 to 3 miles of speed work after my workout.  I really didn’t feel like spending my time in a crowded gym. I wanted to be alone Instead on day 9 of my running streak.   I decided on a nice little out-and-back in my favorite wilderness park, Aliso/Wood Canyons. 

I took off with the melancholy blues.  But as I made my struggle up Cholla, I began to lighten-up and enjoy the moment.  Enjoy the sweat dropping off the ends of my hair.  Enjoy the rocky terrain.  Enjoy the blue skies.  Enjoy that I wasn’t alone, though I was, as the park was crowded with hikers, runners and bikers.  Others were out there struggling up and down these hills.  Who were these people?  I didn’t know a single one of them, yet it was sort of like we all knew each other.  We didn’t talk.  A simple head nod or smile did the trick to convey – “Yup, I’m crazy too.”  Nah.  I think it more conveyed, “Yup.  I understand.”

Running up Cholla, biker cycling down:

Heading up Cholla, the world seems to transform:

View of Saddleback Mountains from Park Avenue Nature Trail:

Prickly Pear bloom (the first I’ve seen this season):

6.35 miles run on day 9:My Activities canyon vistas to top of world and back 12-28-2011, Elevation - Distance

2 comments:

  1. You know, now that I seem to have found some semblance of mojo, it's just a matter of time before we cross paths. But I can tell you this - it probably won't be running up and down Cholla. Walking up and down maybe. But running? That's a beast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In no time you will be running Cholla. I used to HATE that trail. Now I love it because it's so short. Happy New Year Glenn!

    ReplyDelete