TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Monday, April 28, 2014

Things that I do

As I approach the end to my Easter Running Streak, I think that I’ve come to a decision.  My decision:  I am going to end this streak when April ends, as I originally planned.  For a while during this month’s streak, I was contemplating keeping my streak going through May.  I thought it would be cool if I could top my longest streak of 56 days.  BUT, I’m not feeling that “love” anymore.  That is not to say that I don’t love running.  I still love running.  But it’s time, really time, to get my butt in gear and cross-train so that I can start to build my overall strength.  It may seem odd, but I feel so weak, even though I can get out on the trails and run mile after mile.  My upper body is weak, my core is weak, my mental strength is weak. It’s time to get back to weights, planks, burpees, swimming, etc.   Meanwhile, I’m off to finish this April/Easter Running streak strong.  Thanks so much to Johann who influenced me to do this.  (I should not count my chickens before they hatch however, I’ve still got two days to goSmile)

Day 27:   I was so dead-dog tired, it took all that I had to put in a minimum run.  About 3 0’ clock in the afternoon, I took a run downtown for a total of 1.36 miles (2.19 km).

Day 28:  I ran in the coastal hills for 11.21 miles (18.04 km).  I struggled quite a bit running up that crazy, whacky trail called Mentally Sensitive (aka. Psycho-Path) AND I LIKED IT. Smile with tongue out  I got in some Swing Time at Top of the World.  And I ran up on a huge rattlesnake in Wood Canyon.  But alas, I could not run up on it fast enough to catch a good photo for proof.  Sad smile

Psycho-Path:

Swing Time:

Top of the World:

I am pleased with my mileage today, especially because I was able to pick up my pace here and there, even while fatigued.  My guess for this run was 11.13 miles.  That’s something I do.  I always, always, always guess my mileage down to the one-hundredth of a mile.  I very seldom guess right-on, even on out-and-backs.  Today, I felt confident that I guessed it exactly.  (I allow myself approximately a mile out to come up with a final number).  Today, I almost slapped my garmin off when I hit 11.13 miles so that my guess would be correct.  How silly is that?  To cheat at a game that only I’m playing?  I didn’t cheat.  I kept running to my truck and kept the garmin running, and came in at 11.21.  Shocking.  I really thought I had it this time. 

Two more days to go . . .

8 comments:

  1. Nearly there Lauren! Thanks for inspiring me as well. It is awesome that we can be so far apart and still do this. I love the running blog community. Everyone is always so supportive. Almost 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your inspiration Johann!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your streak, girl! You always run in the most beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely, strength training and cross training helps so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if you end it when you planned, it was a good streak. Also, I love the swinging picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks One Crazy Penguin. I have always enjoyed swing sets. :)

      Delete