TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

She’s a Two-Timer

That’s right.  I am!  Even though I broke up with the pavement some time ago.  I have been seen running around around with pavement a few times since.  One of them today.  But I have an excuse.  I had little time to run, and with the way my schedule’s working this week, I needed to run today.   To tell you the truth.  I was looking forward to meeting with my old friend pavement.  It’s kind of nice to run straight out the front door.

Firstly, I had to find some road shoes.  The first pair I pulled from the beneath the bed, though the same brand, were both for the left foot (apropos, I thought).  Searching more, I found a right and left shoe (of the same brand again underneath the head of my bed.  (I’d say it’s time to go through the shoes again Smile)

Though I ran pavement today, I took to the inclines, which meant some fast long declines as well.  And I saw some new things, it’s been so long since I’ve run the streets of my seaside town.

I ran over a new walkway above The Strands (a local beach) with these fish mosaics (dozens of them).

CIMG8796CIMG8797

And I found new beach access down to The Strands (this once secluded beach now has three delightful access points, all beautifully landscaped.  But what goes down, must come up – I know the saying goes the other way, but with running, I’m always thinking as I run down, yikes, I gotta run back up!)

CIMG8798

A View of the The Strands

CIMG8822

After running up another set of stairs, I thought I’d investigate the road further, see if I found something else new.  And like a dog, I sniffed out a trail.  Well, kinda a trail.  Yes, it was a trail, more of the headlands trail system that the city has put in.  Notice the fence below that lines the entire trail system to keep runners and hikers in check.  The sight is way to gorgeous to complain.  I just think a more rustic looking fence might have fit better.

This trail meanders around the headlands overlooking the Pacific and comes out at a brand new building, some sort of headlands information building, where I promptly tripped on the pavement where it met the dirt.  I tripped hard too.  I thought surely I was going down.  My body was practically parallel with the earth.

CIMG8829

CIMG8831

No Worries.  I was able to add one fall to my fall count today nonetheless (LOL).  I came out overlooking the harbor and ran a path and bridge that travels along the cliff.  And while running UPSTAIRS.  Yup.  Upstairs.  I fell.  It was a soft fall.  No harm.  That’s ten to date though (3 for pavement, 7 for trails?).

I’m sure to visit pavement again.  Can you believe how lucky I am?  When probably a third of the country is covered in snow, I stand above in shorts (sweating) overlooking blues skies and the great Pacific.

Miles logged this morning: 6.53 + this afternoon, 1 mile with my son = 7.53

Dana Point Marina below CIMG8842

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty and warm looking! A great way to cheat on your trails ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes very warm, Lindsay. I know that I'm so lucky. Snow is beautiful too. But I'm more a dirt kind of gal. I guess if dirt is too far away for my schedule, pavement is okay if there's some sand mixed in. Have a great week & good luck on your marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man. This place was one of my favorite surf spots back when I was in college. Back in the pre Ritz Carlton days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got to get back out there Glenn and give it a run (or surf). The Strands has changed some since I got out here in '88. But it's still quite lovely. Eventhough they've put in more access, people aren't that keen on making the climb back out. In the summertime though, they've got lifeguards on the far end that keep me off those rocks (humbug!).

    ReplyDelete