TALES FROM THE TRAIL (AND SOMETIMES THE ROAD TOO)

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Romancing the Run

From Born to Run (Christopher McDougall)

“. . . Ann insisted, running was romantic; and no, of course her friends didn’t get it because they’d never broken through.  For them, running was a miserable two miles motivated solely by size 6 jeans: get on the scale, get depressed, get your headphones on, and get it over with.  But you can’t muscle through a five-hour run that way; you have to relax into it, like easing your body into a hot bath, until it no longer resists the shock and begins to enjoy it.”

I can relate.  I can so relate.  This morning I “eased” my body into a longish trail run.  Had I not already known that running was like getting into a hot bath, I wouldn’t have gone or a hilly 12.5 mile run today.  It was gloomy and chilly out.  We even had some sprinkles.  I could have easily gone home and gone back to bed.  But I knew, about two miles in, maybe more, my body wouldn’t resist the run.  I’d enjoy it. 

And I did. 

And I had an extra benefit of adventure and beauty.  Running is romantic.  It really is. Smile

Running along Aliso Creek Trail, past what I’ve named Coyote Field (Do you see the coyote in the middle of the field? I witnessed him pounce on some animal, probably a bunny or a squirrel, then tear at its flesh):

Catching some breeze on my way up Mentally Sensitive:

With a little help from a friend:

Always fun to add in a little bushwhacking:

The relief and giddy apprehension of heading down:

Rock It:

Coyote Run (not really near Coyote Field, in fact, I’ve never seen a Coyote on Coyote Run, only deer, rattlers, birds, squirrels and bunnies):

Romancing the Run:Running Up Mentally Sensitive Down Rock it 5-23-2013, Elevation

No comments:

Post a Comment